Limiting Terrain under the Surface

Hello!

I am wondering if there is a way to limit the amount of terrain that generates under the surface of an imported heightmap?

In this instance, the mountains should actually be tremendously taller than what they are based on the heightmap, however when I input the ‘Y’ value, over half of that height is unusable land - whereas maybe 15% of that height value should be the ground/underground rendering, and the rest of the height should be the remainder of the heightmap.

When I doubled the ‘Y’ value in a second rendering, it gave me the more realistic mountain height that I was going for, but again more than 50% of the ‘Y’ rendering is underground, unusable land. Doubling this value gives me a disproportionate rendering of my anticipated goal.

Studio Reference

You probably have to boost the contrast on the heightmap.

Also is there a specific reason you don’t want the terrain underground? It won’t hurt anything, even if it’s not usable.

I’ll give that a shot. The underground terrain is just not needed, I was wanting the height of the mountains to utilize more of the ‘Y’ value versus the underground.