List of pages with free and very high quality PBR textures and models

anticipating the output of the PBR textures, which are in beta phase, I will recommend the best pages according to my criteria to get free textures and PBR models

link to the pages
  • https://www.cgbookcase.com/ (textures. this is under the creative commons license, which allows you to use it on Roblox)
  • https://cc0textures.com/ (textures. this is under the creative commons license, which allows you to use it on Roblox)
  • Textures • Poly Haven (textures. this is under the creative commons license, which allows you to use it on Roblox)
  • Log in to your Sketchfab account - Sketchfab (not all models are free, most are paid, but there are many free. the models are under the sketchfab standard license, you can use it in whatever you want, even in roblox. Also read the specific licenses of each model just in case)
  • https://3dmodelhaven.com/models/ (models. this is under the creative commons license, which allows you to use it on Roblox)
example

I did the following example with a texture from the page https://cc0textures.com/

explanation to enable beta features

To enable the beta features of Roblox Studio you have to go to the Files tab and in that tab go to where it says Beta Features.
There, look for an option that says Advanced Surface Appearance Textures check it, select “save” and restart the studio. Then, to a mesh add a module of surface appearance and in properties you can put the different maps that you downloaded from the pages, such as the normal map, the metalness map, the color map and roughness map. Sometimes the color map can appear as Albedo, which is the same image but without shadows or highlights, so that the texture can be adapted to several different environments.
also keep in mind that if you want to import 3d models with more than 10,000 polygons you will have to use the beta version of roblox studio found on its github page:

Avatar Evolution | Building the future of Roblox avatars and more! (download Studio Beta)
Roblox · GitHub (github)

I hope it has served. And know how to use it.

34 Likes

Thank you for this resource, this will be useful!

3 Likes

thank you very much. I will try to update the list if I find another page that seems good to me

Thanks for the links but do not use any Quixel models, you need a license to use them outside of Unreal Engine, using them outside of UE will get you in legal trouble.

2 Likes

I clarified it when I put the link.
It can get you in trouble, but if you use it in a private project, no, because nobody can know if you really used it. Likewise, it is never safe to play with those things. You’re right
Thanks also

Please be aware of the usage restrictions of these assets when you post them. Making them clear in the thread would be helpful for other developers because otherwise this is going to, for some, set a precedent for them (the developers) to use them (the assets) potentially illegally.

Example: there are some threads existing right now regarding use of Quixel Megascans assets.
https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=quixel

Not all of the resources linked are completely free, or so I’m assuming. Check for the fine print of licensing and usage. These are important things you need to convey on the thread so that you’re linking people to places where they can legally purchase and use said assets including with Roblox’s annoying provision on having unlimited access to the content you upload (which could violate a large number of licenses) rather than blanket assuming they’re all free.

1 Like

Like colbert said, be aware of the usage restrictions of these assets. In some cases, it’s true that “there is no such thing as free”. Quixel specifically cannot be used on Roblox, so I would recommend removing it from the thread entirely so that someone does not get into legal trouble. Moreover, I would recommend that you (as the presenter of these resources) read the fine print for all the sites to make sure that all of these assets can be used on the platform. If it turns out that they can’t be used on Roblox, or that developer might incur legal penalties for using them, then it’s possible your well-intentioned post could actually do more harm than good!

Excuse me, but I don’t know if you saw me clarify it with bold type so that it attracts attention " In this you can find textures and models, but keep in mind that they are models made for Unreal Engine, and they can sue you if they realize that you use them." they keep saying the same thing when I clarified it in the thread. It is also good that they continue to clarify it, because whoever does not read the complete publication can be harmed, but it is already very repeated, and I clarify it anyway.

I do not intend to harm anyone, and clarify things so that each person can know if it suits him or not. That is, it is wrong to use it, but I am not forcing you to use that page and I warn that it can be sanctioned

And I clarify that I read the fine print, I put it in case you want to do something to suit each person but without the need to be public. I often do things for my own satisfaction, and this is a good resource for that.

excuse me, but I read the small letters, and the only one that has limitations is quixel. thank you anyway

Here’s the thing, many people are not going to read the body of your thread, regardless of whether it is bolded, italicized, etc. Particularly people who are seeking fast fixes may just search “free PBR” on DevForum search, land on your page, and click a link. If you know that some of the links that you are providing are not allowed on Roblox, you should remove them because they are not resources that developers can use and are dangerous for developers who may think that because it is on a DevForum page, it is allowed.

The status of Quixel is the primary reason that I recommend you to be the one who reads the usage agreements of all the sites that you link. If you are providing and promoting free resources, you should also make sure that those resources comply with Roblox standards (usually not an issue), their usage for Roblox development is allowed (can be an issue), and that assets are allowed for commercial use (not sure to what degree Roblox development qualifies, but this is still important). Remember, there is a difference between public domain and free to access.

Bottom line: if you’re creating a community resource, it’s important for you to take charge of the information that you distribute to make sure that developers can truly benefit from it. Do the extra research to make sure that the content and resources you are providing are good, helpful to people, and don’t have extra strings attached that can be harmful to developers.

1 Like

Look, here I don’t want to make an argument, I want to speak well, and respect the rules. I am going to remove the link. I wanted to have a healthy conversation in any case, and not an argument. I read the agreements with the consumer and all that, that’s why I clarified the quixel. Thank you very much also for the exhaustive clarifications. And everything he tells me I keep in mind.Anyway, for those who like to read, clarify the licenses of each page in the parentheses, so there is no doubt that the model or texture can be used. Thank you very much for reminding me and have a nice day.

1 Like