LoadLibrary is going to be removed on February 3rd

I think that’s over exaggerated, taking a few hours to make loadlibrary do something else when called wouldn’t be wasting nearly as much time as it would if the gear dev had to manually fix each gear and then wait weeks for them to get submitted.

They could simply make loadlibrary do this when called. And if that doesn’t work, there are many other methods to choose from.

It would still take time for the engineers to do all of that, and again, that time could be used to work on other projects, instead of maintaining a feature that is barely used. If gears were a largely used feature, then sure I could begin to see your point, but nobody uses gear anymore for the purpose of actually using it in game.

If it would only take a few hours to fix all the gears, can’t you easily do that yourself if you want to keep your fighting game alive? It isn’t like this is the first time gears have been broken. Along with the LoadLibrary issues, most gears would need to be made FilteringEnabled compatible, and that would take much more time than you think, so again, if you’re so passionate about this, then you should probably maintain specific gears for your fighting game so that when issues like this occur, you can easily go in and fix them.

1 Like

So you would rather if the gear dev spends weeks, months, maybe even years manually fixing broken gear than use one simple solution because it isn’t worth your time? I don’t know about you but that seems kind of selfish to me.

1 Like

Fixing all of the broken gear would not take years, now that is an over-exaggeration. It is also not selfish. If I must repeat myself, the engineers have much better things to do with their time than fix multiple gears (again, a feature that barely anybody uses) when the users can fix them themselves, and have been provided a solution.

1 Like

Filtering Enabled is not a harmful shortcut, the old infrastructure of Roblox networking was. It was not up to industry standards in any way and very exploitable.

They are making these changes to make it easier to secure and improve the platform in the coming years. Sure, it’s a small inconvenience now, but they wouldn’t do it without a very good reason to break years of paid labor.

12 Likes

It’s possible. TakeoHonorable (the new gear dev) is the one fixing the gears and he is still fixing the broken gears from when fe was forced. Not only is that a ton of unnecessary work for him, but the gears take a long time to be submitted. So after he finds all the broken gear, fixes it, and submits it, who knows how long it will take?

2 Likes

So, who do you want to fix the gears? If TakeoHonorable is “the new volunteer who is fixing gears”, then that is literally his job to go and fix the gears, he does that in his free time, hence the term “volunteer.” It’s either him, you, or nobody. They aren’t cancelling the LoadLibrary removal just so they don’t break gears again. As I’ve said before, gears are barely used nowadays, and the people who actually use gears maintain them for their own games.

6 Likes

Keeping a several years-long deprecated system actively blocking platform development wastes more time than keeping an extremely small niche satisfied. Its completely dismissive of anything said here, even by staff, and yet apparently we’re being dismissive when we offer proper replies? Your responses lack a properly developed stance or understanding of a lot here. I doubt you’ve even read my posts? If I asked you for a summary could you accurately provide one?

There are a larger selection of ways to fix gear without sacrificing update efficiency across the rest of the platform or exposing security holes which is at their discretion, but there’s little to no reason to update gear natively. Update them on your own and put them in your game. Resources are better spent on actual used features, not your isolated case.

:man_shrugging:

7 Likes

@colbert2677

I never said they used loardlibrary, you asked for games that allow gear, and yes games do allow gear. Now on with the point, my point was that some of the gears are broken are not clear, you are paying money to get gear, when you think of gear you don’t think of a cool thing to hold out on your profile.
I understand if you can’t rescript code, but this should be a warning on the gear. My point the whole time to was to make a clear warning that the gear scripts don’t work or rescript them. Some kid should’t lose there money because they aren’t on the devforums and know that some gear will not work anymore. Anyways I’m done with aruging here, my only point is that there should be some type of warning for the broken gear.

3 Likes

Please don’t cherry pick my statements to prove a point.

Add Gear isn’t Allowed Gear. Allowed Gear arbitrarily allows gear of a certain type into a game (a feature which has been deprecated or is in the process of being removed); Add Gear still allows granular control over gear being allowed in a game. The gear in question don’t feature LoadLibrary and they won’t break in the first place, making this a bad example.

Frankly, the point about what you think of gear proves that this is an appeal to emotion which is not a proper standing for any kind of request. Gear is meant to be a part of your avatar and it can be used in games that allow it; which is a fickle number in comparison to games that don’t.

Use of LoadLibrary will issue a warning. This has been specified. A warning isn’t really needed either because you can hardly use gear you buy on games anyway. It’s a waste of attention and resources. Unless there is actually a significant game that arbitrarily allows gear that will be affected by the removal of LoadLibrary, I will concede; though that is evidently not so.

1. You don’t need to be on the DevForum to read this thread.
  2. LoadLibrary use will issue a warning that links back to this thread, thus exposure.
  3. No one loses money from buying gear. That’s like saying you lose money from buying hats.

There are a lot of games that support customisation and different avatar rigs, so do you lose your money when they override your avatar? Absolutely not. The money you spent is for decking out your avatar on the website and, in games that don’t override avatars, showing off your cool outfits. In the case of gear, due to it not being permitted in an abundance of games, is solely for avatar looks.

Periastron gears, for example, recently got a facelift for R15 avatars and most of them shot up in price because of the way they make your avatar look (and because it’s a limited at all), not because of the gear itself. I doubt any of the Periastron gears were bought because of its effect, rather its looks. Players can’t use Periastron gears in a majority of games? No problem. Buy it because it makes your avatar look real neat.

Here is an example avatar of someone with a Periastron equipped (iClube):

5 Likes

Won’t miss it. Buggy and limited, even when released. An alternative is given, it is practically a drag and drop solution. I’m sure even the least technical users could add that module in.

Only problem I have is with how the replacement is being delivered. The people who most likely will need it most, won’t be checking this forum. It would be great if a link was provided directly in studio instead. I am glad there is an official model though. I am hoping for something like this for body movers, if they are ever deprecated.

5 Likes

This is already a thing. If you are still using LocalLibary in any of your scripts you will get a warning in studio linking you to this announcement.

1 Like

There isn’t any foreseeable intention to deprecate body movers. They are however marked as legacy and superseded by the constraints system. The constraints system also features a lot more customisability and ease when working with physics, at least in my own opinion.

5 Likes

This got a bit out of hand so I am closing this - it doesn’t look like the discussion is leading anywhere.

We will evaluate the gear situation for this update again before the first destructive action happens. No promises…

23 Likes

Quick update: some of the changes we were hoping to ship that required this needed to be delayed, so in the interest of giving our community as much time as possible to adapt to this we’ve adjusted the timeline so that LoadLibrary is going to be disabled simultaneously everywhere on January 6th.

20 Likes

To allow the community more time to change their places we’re going to push the removal out a bit further. We have also reached out to developers of popular games that may be impacted by this.

Additionally we have batch processed the gear items to automatically replace the LoadLibrary invocation in the script as it proved to be relatively straightforward and will try to update the gear items over the next few weeks.

34 Likes

The final round of notifications to developers who are still using LoadLibrary in their games has gone out yesterday.

Additionally, we migrated all (hopefully) gear items to stop relying on this function.

LoadLibrary removal will proceed on February 3rd as scheduled. I will reopen the post but please restrict the comments to on-topic critical ones.

20 Likes

Hey, what was the criteria for being notified? I didn’t get one for Fisticuffs. My usage in several ModuleScript was:

local CreateSignal = LoadLibrary("RbxUtility").CreateSignal

Did this not get picked up?