Local file management system

I would appreciate having some sort of local file system that would allow me to test and integrate assets into a game before uploading them. So far, the best I can do is place the content inside the appropriate version files for Roblox Studio, under the /content/ folder, and this works fine, but it doesn’t work for meshes and every time Studio updates, I need to move the content again to the current version. It would be great if you could import assets over from other places into some sort of common local folder, and have that folder sync with all versions of studio, and accessible via a rbxasset:// or similar URL. It would also be great to have buttons to batch upload or update content with this feature, making it much easier to test assets such as audio files and textures without having to constantly upload new assets or waste robux on audio that is no longer needed, or does not appear to function properly in-game. While this would “bypass” moderation features, and might cause problems down the line if the asset is moderated after being uploaded, it would still only exist on the system itself before being uploaded. This will cause problems as well if the file link is used after the asset is uploaded, however, this should only be used in testing, and not the final product, unless the file links are updated afterward, but this could be fixed by using a special URL that either grabs the file from the system, or redirects to grab it from the cloud if it has been uploaded.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the file location can be anywhere you don’t need to put it inside /content/ folder

4 Likes

That’s great and all, but its only part of the problem. The other part is being able to upload and link assets after it has been uploaded. An example would be having a URL that links to the asset on studio. If a file URL is provided, it accesses using the file, but if it has been uploaded, it will access via the upload. This lets you test and then batch upload assets such as audio files, without also needing to change every existing reference to the asset. It would also be great if this feature could work with team create, but that is maybe unnecessary.

1 Like

I wish developers could utilise the BulkImportService. This lets you upload local file, File objects onto the web using the Upload API. This is exactly what the Asset Manager uses.

Please Roblox.

1 Like