Local plugins with a script root instance should be saved as .RBXMX and not .Lua

Right now, we are able to create plugins using RBXM files, and it is especially simple to upload these to Roblox, however when saving as a local plugin, the only option available in the context menu is to save it as a single script. This is extremely inconvenient for those creating private plugins or testing changes to a plugin.

The current workaround involves saving the plugin model as a RBXM and navigating to studio’s plugin directory, then restarting studio. This process is lengthy and unnecessary when an easier option could be made available.

I would expect that this change would help boost people’s motivation to create plugins as it reduces the issues with plugin-making.

For context, this is the context menu I am talking about

3 Likes

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. You can already do this? Granted it is RBXMX, but this shouldn’t be a problem.

This doesn’t work when the parent of the sub-scripts is a script, I’ll update the title to reflect that.

Posting here because the information was mentioned in the DevForum Discord.
Save to file already has the ability to choose between file types, whereas Local Plugins do not when the parent class is a script.

Here is what options should be avaliable:

As a workaround, you can make the root object of the plugin a Folder instead of a script: The plugin structure can be whatever you want. This is what most plugins do anyways since as the are developed further they are likely to want to start using modules, which will be placed beside them in that folder.