Contents

• Introduction
  • Requirements
  • International certificates
  • Looking for a job
  • Recommendations

Introduction

A lot of people have been asking me one simple question

How do I start? I know multiple languages and I would like to become a localizer
-Many people

In this topic, you will find all the information you need to start your career.

Requirements

There are no official localizer requirements, but take into account the fact of competition among translators of exact languages. Usually, there are monopolists for an exact language and to have a place in the market you have to stand out. Merits listed below would make you stand out a lot, but it's not necessary to have them.
  • International certificates
  • Status of a native speaker
  • Experience in the past

But what if you don’t have an international certificate or you never worked as a translator before? That’s not a problem, we all have to start somewhere, so I recommend

A)Making the price lower than average (temporary)
B)Doing voluntary work for a few times to get recognized

So, anyone who is fluent in both English and %insertyourlanguagenamehere% is capable of localizing games.

International certificates

In the previous paragraph, I have mentioned International Certificates. It's not a key requirement, but just an addition to your portfolio. Although it makes you look more professional and will help you get more customers.

If you decide to take an international exam I would recommend you CAE or IELTS.

Looking for a job

After evaluating your abilities you have decided to become a localizer. Firstly, you should make a topic including all of your achievements, pricing and contact info. After making a topic start PMing developers and offering them your services (don't forget to include the link to your topic in the message).

I would also recommend you joining Roblox Localization Team, you can get a lot of jobs there

Recommendations

5 Likes