LocalizationService doesn't translate UserDialogs from the Dialog system properly

After having my game translated I noticed that the UserDialogs for the Dialog system wouldn’t want to be translated properly during testing. What happens is that the dialogs on your screen that you pick from aren’t translated at all, and the chat bubble that appears above your head after you’ve clicked one of the choices gets translated but the message is very cut off and only has 1 or 2 words.

Here is a video showing the issue better: https://youtu.be/qmSTGv0KYUw

The translations in the LocalizationTable used doesn’t have any context inputs since the text capture tool wouldn’t pick up any of the text in the Dialog, but I don’t think that can be the issue since I have other strings without context in the table that gets translated.

How many languages and what languages are you attempting? Also, any errors in output?

Currently it’s only English to Spanish, and no there are no errors.

If you’re doing everything right then it’s most likely a bug. Localisation tools are still a work-in-progress so you can’t really blame them though.

This is a known issue. Any user text that appears in CoreGui does not get translated right now. That includes the legacy dialog system, among other things.

Right now I’m working on something that will allow us to call the auto-translator in scripts, which will let us fix this issue. It might take a few months to ship proper, though.

I would also suggest not using that ancient dialog system as well. There’s nothing there that you can’t do yourself, and any other dialog system would not use CoreGui and would easily translate today, without needing to wait for my fixes.

It’s not hard to do the same thing yourself. @Davidii wrote a pretty good one while he was an intern here. Consider giving that a try and customizing it a bit.

Otherwise we’ll get the fix shipped as soon as we can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.