Lock replies in announcements to only regulars+

As Wooley mentioned but not enough about flagging not being enough, Regulars+ contribute the same when it comes to point things to change or fix, but with a lot more professionalism and experience in the forums.

1 Like

I disagree, but at the same time I also kinda agree.

As a member who has been in the DevForum for roughly about a year, I saw many replies to #updates:announcements all the time about biw they love(and probably only love) specific updates. But removing this power to members can limit the bugs/concerns of basically maybe about 75% of the DevForum users using DevForum, since becoming a regular is practically impossible at the moment.

Keeping the replies on for members can be very crucial at the same time as those who just say “Wow! I love this update!”

1 Like

I disagree, they disabled the way to get other roles other than the first role. So its not like anyone can even post there if that was a feature but it makes absolutely no sense to lock new developers (or just anyone) from asking questions. Questions are the number one way to learn!

They’re not interested in moderating against these posts, so this feature request has 0 chance.

Also it is not appropriate to put more things behind trust level barriers considering there is no way to get a higher trust level currently and distinction between trust levels causes a toxic atmosphere. Furthermore, I see plenty of Regulars making crap posts there all the time as well.

19 Likes

A big no. I know most of community here hates people who literally write 5 paragraphs after 3 seconds topic got created/unlocked, this includes not regulars. They do common stuff and their opinion is needed. Just because someone don’t know rules, all members shouldn’t be hurt with it. Moderation team is doing their job well and they delete such posts.

You can report this so there isn’t any situation happening. I can myself say that moderation team is deleting that replies because I witnessed it few times.

2 Likes

The forum isn’t useless. There are other categories that you can reply and create posts in.

Since the Regular role is no longer attainable, there are many members that are trustworthy but do not have the regular role. It may be a fix for you, since you are a regular, but think about others. What would you think if you were a member and were trustworthy? You would disagree with locking replies in announcments.

It sounds like a better solution to your problem is just improving Roblox moderation. It is Roblox’s job to improve moderation, so it is logical to improve moderation instead of limiting a majority of users to important categories.

6 Likes

Yes it is. We are already greatly limited in where we can post and reply.

1 Like

Ironically, a lot of you want to take away our privileges in those categories too, such as Development Discussion.

3 Likes

I disagree. Members are pretty much equal to regulars now, they just don’t have access to platform feedback. However, you can still file bugs by messaging deveng.

Personally, I think replies on announcements should be removed altogether. Most of them are filler and Platform Feedback exists for a reason. The few constructive replies usually move to a feature request, so might as well accelerate that process.

Even regulars pump out low quality replies now, so Roblox can either enforce the rules more strictly, or shut it down.

5 Likes

You aren’t getting the point of this request. I’m requesting this because we aren’t getting our concerns/questions addressed by staff member. I’m not promoting such “elitism” with this request, that is beyond what I’m asking for.

Because of the unneeded spam and non-contributions to the post, it makes it not only harder for those who have questions/concerns to get addresses, but makes it hard on staff to answer them and moderation to remove the unneeded replies.

You guys have a lot of access to posting and replying, I don’t understand why you aren’t happy with this request when it’s setup like this for #updates:release-notes

1 Like

This would be a very bad idea, especially as you can’t become a regular anymore.

5 Likes

We aren’t happy because I have seen many posts like these that want to limit what members can do. For example, I once saw a post that wanted to remove member access to #development-discussion , which is over the top.

What I suggested is that instead of removing access to certain places from members, Roblox just needs to improve moderation.

Also, I noticed that everyone that is replying to me is a regular, so I understand why you would disagree with me,

4 Likes

Out of all the replies to this topic, this post makes most sense. Adding onto the poll idea, I believe it would be better to have Roblox set up polls before adding anything new, too. The most recent announcements have received a majority of negative feedback, mostly because Roblox wasn’t fully aware of what developers wanted - the new material overhaul being an example.
Roblox is spending a lot of time designing and developing a new feature, only to have to re-structure it down from its roots just because they haven’t set up any polls prior to beginning it’s development to see what people have to say.

3 Likes

Less new members making crap posts would make it easier to hone in on regulars making similarly crap posts.

At the very least, this should be done towards hot topics. The “oof” sound post, new materials post, and avatar upload posts all come to mind. Quickly growing to hundreds of replies, most of which are a direct repeat of something said earlier or something posted with an extreme lack of effort.

6 Likes

Exactly. Even regulars misuse and try to snipe the first reply for “stat farming” and it’s honestly annoying.

Locking down to certain people won’t work when those people are guilty of the same things as well.

6 Likes

I disagree, no one can be a regular anymore. If a member has a question or concern what are they supposed to do?

1 Like

Even as just a member I still have to agree with Wooley, flagging has been abused for no reason such as members flagging a post for feedback in feedback about an error they got and why Roblox should change it, but members would flag it and say it should be posted in Scripting.

If you have anything, it’ll likely be asked by a regular. If not, fill out a support ticket. They’ll take it from there.

You have a great point there.

I’m honestly tired of seeing all these threads about limiting access to the forum to anyone with the Member rank, I understand that useless posts are annoying to everyone and there should be a way to keep them from being made.

But seeing suggestions that constantly bash Members are also annoying.

Whetever people want to admit it or not, there is clearly a bias against Members among some of the Regulars making suggestions like this.

Suggestions like this have been made for nearly a year now, so I do believe a few of them have a grudge against the idea of Members having posting freedom as a whole.

I don’t disagree with you there, but we have the option to flag posts for a reason.

It may take time since the moderators are human of course, but it does work.

Members are also developers, so they should get equal access to the forum also.

Yes, they might make a few slip-ups when posting anywhere…but that’s what flagging is for.

Also, just because it’s hard for you and a few dozen other developers to get Roblox Staff to answer questions doesn’t mean 80% of the forum should be restricted from replying there as a result.

It can be frustrating when not getting a proper response to a problem, but forcing that frustration on many others isn’t the right choice.

That always won’t work, there are more Members on the DevForum than Regulars. Meaning that there are more eyes to catch game-breaking bugs or errors.

I’ve also seen Members bring up important suggestions or thoughts that weren’t even considered by anyone else, so the point you made is only half-right.

There’s already a system in place that prevents Members from getting badges or promotions with no effort, so that’s already covered.

And again, you can flag any non-contributing posts.

Useless posts can be flagged and we have this:

Exactly, but just because an announcement has a few dozen replies doesn’t mean they’ll all be similar.

For example, recently Roblox recently announced that more advanced reflections were coming to Roblox.

As you can see, there are currently over 170 replies but each one is different from one another.

Everyone has a different experience when trying out something like this, which is why you won’t find many posts that repeat the same stuff from someone else.

The like button is very useful like you say, but it won’t stop announcements from getting hundreds of replies since everyone has a different experience and therefore, people always have something different to show or to say.

This won’t always be the case, but we do have the flag option after all.

SUMMARY:

I understand your intentions with this suggestion and I do think people can get carried away with replying, but it’s like buildthomas said:

Any suggestion that is too discriminatory toward another rank is completely ignored by Roblox, there’s been many threads like yours calling for more restrictions against those with a Member rank but they all failed to become a reality.

There are better options that can be suggested to counter useless posts, but it requires thought and time to do so.

If limiting all these useless posts is something you really want to do however, I would focus on thinking of a solution that doesn’t end with one side getting major restrictions. Otherwise none of your suggestions will become a reality.

I do think you can come up with something however, so I look forward to supporting the next idea you get.

14 Likes