Lock replies in announcements to only regulars+

I guess that Roblox changed the default value in Discourse then. Oops!

1 Like

I disagree, members also need to have their voice heard. While I also agree that some members post things like “wow how cool! this is amazing!” and things like that, but we need our opinion heard. If people don’t have their thoughts, the platform would be overall ‘useless’.

Like some replies above, post approval has been closed, so it has been impossible to obtain regular LOL.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, even though I like this idea, I don’t support it entirely. It’s even Regulars that cause such trouble, not just Members.

The actual solution would be to create a new category which will be used to ask questions about the recent updates. I personally support incapaz’s idea.

A new category would be able to “filter” spam. People will most likely be discouraged to make such replies, since they’d receive way less attention. The ability to earn badges could be disabled. Finally, I think that important replies from staff should still be posted on the main topic. Might consider creating a topic about that soon.

10 Likes

If they will implement that, then they should lock it completely, not only for members but for every TL.

1 Like

Personally I think the members can add a contribution to a post its just it needs to be mo itored more. Like for example I might see a problem that’s not been mentioned and due to my membership level I can’t voice my conserns.

Personally I don’t think it would be fair on the people who do contribute to the topic.

let me reword this. I do see an issue, i report these posts. HOWEVER, i do not see them frequently enough for this to be an issue.

I get flagged posts taken down fairly quick, maybe your luck? It varies depending on time of day and the day.

I don’t understand how this came to mind when I mentioned Hidden Devs. They provide more constructive services, with significantly better systems. They don’t do bug reports because they’re not roblox.
I’ve been reporting bugs directly to studio engineers with the lack of bug reports being open and others can do that too.

1 Like

I think since the announcements category is the most prone to repetitive posts, it makes sense to increase the requirements for a post in reply to an announcement.

For example:

• Blacklist the phrase “thank you”
  • Increase minimum character limit to 200 chars
  • If it doesn’t have the word “bug” or a question mark in it, don’t allow it to be posted
    - I could be forgetting use cases but it seems like these replies should only be used for bug reports about the feature or direct questions

With these requirements, people farming stats would be forced to add weird phrasing into their posts to meet the requirements as many people do with the current 30 ch*racter count limit and it would be much more evident who’s only posting for likes.

1 Like

This should happen - but first the members → regular promotion system should work.
I’ve been a member for 2+ years, but I’m still not a regular.

2 Likes

I’m also in the same boat. With our lovely post regulation or whatever stuff down, bug reports and lots of other crucial areas are locked to regulars only, which makes this a touchier topic.

3 Likes

If you see a post that breaks rules? Flag it. It’s as simple as that, normal announcements like the GetTouch announcements a few days ago only have 60 replies on average, that’s barely anything. And it’s not just you who flags these posts, it’s a ton of other users.

A lot of members bring a lot to the table to these posts and it wouldn’t be fair to lock it down all for regulars just because of a few bad apples.

1 Like

I have held contribution rights since Janurary 2019. I have been a regular since November 2019.

The forum policy has been to flag bad posts for years; It Does Not Work. The DevForum has well over a hundred thousand contributors, and flagging does not work on this scale. We need a systematic solution that stops spam before it is posted.

With that said, I feel like the damage has been done, and that this forum is a lost cause; with most contributors and developers flocking to private forums and Discord servers, leaving only the bottom contributors that just spam, clutter, and clog the forum.

8 Likes

Doesn’t look like that would help, since it is rather difficult to maintaining the user experience as well as cleaning the forum from spam. Majority of the issues seems to stem from newcomers that apparently haven’t grasped enough knowledge about using the forum.

Flagging does actually work, and I think a hundred thousand contributors would be an overstatement. Only truth is that at some point, the forum is reaching a high member count and might be problematic in terms of staff to member ratio.

It’s either free access for everyone or prestigious elites. There must be a middleground and does not always work. There are underlying motives to opening the forum a lot more. You may try to scale up the requirement for membership, I quite frankly find some of the members interesting and unusually out of the frame of ethiquette. They must be tempted to post something, maybe because of the social incentives they are seeking for?

In any case, the forum is designated as a forum for help and feedback around their creations, announcements for developers and bug reports and feature requests. The users are just unable to grasp the general idea of the forum and somehow misuse it. Could they have been reluctant towards learning and reading the rules? Perhaps the rules were too expansive that it looks like an entire book of law. Maybe there should be any ideas to shove the users in the right direction to think of the rules as a manual rather than something you should read deeply and learn about? Maybe even a short summary of the rules, especially containing the most important rules to avoid breaking?

11 Likes

I don’t know any statistics about how many people have actually posted, since /u/ was removed, but there are at least 668,641 registered accounts. If I had to guess, I’d say there are about 40-50K people who have posted, but that’s pretty much entirely a guess. 100K is not impossible, but certainly unlikely.

3 Likes

As a member, I usually make a post about the actual topic other than a short “Nice!” or anything of the sort. Everyone shouldn’t be punished because a few people do something

3 Likes

You don’t understand why they’re proposing this feature is to protect the category.
We know not all Members are like this, however there’s a large majority that does this, and this is just to protect the quality of the category. We don’t mean to lock it for the sake of us being able to post there only, oh no, but lock it to protect the category from people who break the rules, which is why they are proposing to lock replies in #updates:announcements.

Then why not add a longer character limit like there is on the other topics?

Have you heard of people using 30chaaaaaars to bypass such character limit? It’s more better they just lock it. Same with the other categories, they use 30chaaaaars when #development-discussion was newly opened and it formerly had a character limit, however people abuse the 30chaaaaars and end up bypassing and able to post one word or one sentence description of the topic or reply which seems to clog the category or thread, and is not contributive.

This is sometimes what happens to #updates:announcements they post “nice 30chaaaaaars” there’s already a character limit before posting.

Fair enough, but I still don’t think it’s a good idea. I like to post my thoughts, or questions, about certain updates, and limiting members from doing that is pretty unfair. Especially since it’s already hard to rank up to Regular in the first place. Limiting more things that members can do will eventually lead to members just becoming a slightly more privileged visitor. I feel like possibly just making a seperate development discussion topic on the announcement (like they did for some of them) , would help filter out some spammers.

I think we should stop advocating for putting more trust level barriers on the forum, especially when there’s no way to get regular at the moment. If we’re locking this for members, might as well lock it for regulars, it’s only fair.

Lock it completely or don’t lock it at all.

They already opened up #development-discussion, and Members already trashed it, they already gave so much freedom and privileges for Members, and it’s time to maybe put some restrictions to protect the quality of the Developer Forum, as people now mostly don’t respect this as a Developer Forum, but more of a public forum, which resulted in almost a large majority of Members breaking the rules, or some are just too incompetent to follow the rules in the first place.

If you’re competent to see what’s the situation of #development-discussion, the category is already losing it’s main purpose because Members kept posting trash topics there. Locking it for everybody would completely destroy #development-discussion, it’s fair to for Regulars to be the ones posting there because, they’re more experienced and they think before they post compared to a large amount of the Developer Forum’s new and inexperienced members.

Locking up #development-discussion, is not a solution as there would be no proper category to discuss development related topics, though even if it’s open it’s still not an excuse to make it a dumping ground. I’ll be honest when I was a Member back then, and Post Approval was a thing, the #development-discussion had a high standard when it came to development discussion before they completely opened it up. I’m not saying we Regulars are perfect however, locking it up to Regulars would lessen and even make it rare for #development-discussion to be a dumping ground of trash threads.

If they do remove forum trust level barriers, I would be fine with it honestly, but they should impost a team to check the posts coming in #development-discussion or any other restricted category, in that way to protect the quality of the Developer Forum in becoming a public forum.

I’ll be honest about my comment about your proposal in locking up everything through an example… it’s like there’s a Math equation, and you just have one mistake in the equation, and you just have to change the variable, instead of changing the variable to be able to get the correct answer, you decided to erase everything, instead you could just change the variable to get the answer or solution. Same goes here, instead of ‘erasing’ everything, while there is still a solution that could be preferred it’s better to be able to find the solution in our problem rather than destroying everything.

1 Like