Lock replies in announcements to only regulars+

I am positive people wouldn’t be so desperate to reply in announcements.
If they can’t reply there, why would they leave?. They have other things to do on the forum.
They can at least leave a like and not be upset about the fact that they can’t reply to one single category.

I can’t make posts in Regular locked channels and I haven’t left the forums.

I agree that there is some yes-man posts around the forum, but you must understand that both members and regulars make these posts. Limiting announcments to regulars only would lower the amount of these posts, but also lower the amount of any other posts. If anything, regulars care more about being the first to comment on an announcement, as being a regular in the first place requires dedication.

1 Like

Don’t you think that locking replies would just cause more spam on the forum? You’re going to see dozens of DD topics on the same announcement just for people to spill their thoughts somewhere.

5 Likes

Many might disagree with me (or maybe not), but I think it would be better if your post gets flagged and you make another one and that also gets flagged, you can no longer reply to that topic. (Could also be useful if this was on all categories, idk)

2 Likes

Not sure if you noticed but they happen regardless of if there’s even an announcement or not because people want to bolster their stats with the same “what do you think of x” post that could be easily posted on the announcement.

1 Like

Actually why don’t they do it like this?

The announcement had a separate #development-discussion topic made for it and there was less noise. I don’t know if the users that were likely to spam “omg thanks!1!1” got the message, but it worked. Much less noise. Maybe they should do it like this.

17 Likes

I’m aware, but regardless, locking replies would just further encourage this behavior and will not achieve anything.

+1

I don’t think #updates:announcements really the place for #development-discussion. Not only is small-talk unnecessary, but if there really is a need to reply to an update, chances are it should be in a seperate topic.

Don’t understand the feature? → #help-and-feedback

Have a suggestion regarding it? → #feature-requests / #bug-reports

Tried it out and want to show people? → #help-and-feedback:cool-creations

And if you still have a point to bring up, maybe you should start a topic in #development-discussion.

2 Likes

I agree with @Crazedbrick1. I don’t think they should be locking stuff to Regulars when you can’t even BE a regular in the first place anymore.

3 Likes

Not necessarily. It’ll help reduce the issue of spam/clutter replies for sure in those topics. We already have seen those kinds of topics in #development-discussion so there won’t be any difference. I do believe that if staff was going to carry this forward, they should have a topic for some of the announcements in #development-discussion so that we can discuss, but the ones in #updates:announcements should be more geared towards questions/concerns.

3 Likes

You may not see an issue, but many of us do because we’d like to be able to get our questions answered. Flagging and removing posts takes a while due to the volume of replies which makes it harder for staff to answer our question.

…? That’s like saying that because you can’t create bug reports, you’ll leave the forum… The forums originally started as an invite-only space. I’m quite glad that they made it open for all as it helps aspiring developers (though sometimes it can get out of hand). Some services may offer you more, but they are quite limited on answering questions you may have - especially newer announcements because of them not being an engineer for Roblox.

1 Like

What…? Regular flags are the same as members. There’s a threshold before it becomes hidden.

I guess that Roblox changed the default value in Discourse then. Oops!

1 Like

I disagree, members also need to have their voice heard. While I also agree that some members post things like “wow how cool! this is amazing!” and things like that, but we need our opinion heard. If people don’t have their thoughts, the platform would be overall ‘useless’.

Like some replies above, post approval has been closed, so it has been impossible to obtain regular LOL.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, even though I like this idea, I don’t support it entirely. It’s even Regulars that cause such trouble, not just Members.

The actual solution would be to create a new category which will be used to ask questions about the recent updates. I personally support incapaz’s idea.

A new category would be able to “filter” spam. People will most likely be discouraged to make such replies, since they’d receive way less attention. The ability to earn badges could be disabled. Finally, I think that important replies from staff should still be posted on the main topic. Might consider creating a topic about that soon.

10 Likes

If they will implement that, then they should lock it completely, not only for members but for every TL.

1 Like

Personally I think the members can add a contribution to a post its just it needs to be mo itored more. Like for example I might see a problem that’s not been mentioned and due to my membership level I can’t voice my conserns.

Personally I don’t think it would be fair on the people who do contribute to the topic.

let me reword this. I do see an issue, i report these posts. HOWEVER, i do not see them frequently enough for this to be an issue.

I get flagged posts taken down fairly quick, maybe your luck? It varies depending on time of day and the day.

I don’t understand how this came to mind when I mentioned Hidden Devs. They provide more constructive services, with significantly better systems. They don’t do bug reports because they’re not roblox.
I’ve been reporting bugs directly to studio engineers with the lack of bug reports being open and others can do that too.

1 Like

I think since the announcements category is the most prone to repetitive posts, it makes sense to increase the requirements for a post in reply to an announcement.

For example:

• Blacklist the phrase “thank you”
  • Increase minimum character limit to 200 chars
  • If it doesn’t have the word “bug” or a question mark in it, don’t allow it to be posted
    - I could be forgetting use cases but it seems like these replies should only be used for bug reports about the feature or direct questions

With these requirements, people farming stats would be forced to add weird phrasing into their posts to meet the requirements as many people do with the current 30 ch*racter count limit and it would be much more evident who’s only posting for likes.

1 Like

This should happen - but first the members → regular promotion system should work.
I’ve been a member for 2+ years, but I’m still not a regular.

2 Likes