Looking for advice on React-lua / Roact

Hi,

I’ve just started to work on a new game that is going to be quite UI heavy, with different lobbies and places, so I wanted to start looking into using Roact, only to discover it has recently been deprecated.

The github page links me to React-lua, but that repository does not seem to be regularly updated. There’s dead links in the readme and a bit of a lacking documentation. So I’m wondering if anybody can give me some advice on this.

Is this library recommended to use or should I steer clear/wait for the project to mature? Are there some other UI libraries that I should look into?

I’m sorry if this is asked before. I haven’t been able to find too much recent information on this.

Note; I’m okay putting some time into getting to know an api/library and it having a bit of a steep learning curve. I just want to make sure it is worth the time.

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

The react-lua repo that roblox hosts on their github has dead links because it is a mirror of their internal branch. The links aren’t dead, they’re just not available to you.

Here’s the community fork: GitHub - jsdotlua/react-lua: A comprehensive, but not exhaustive, translation of upstream ReactJS 17.x into Lua.

React is fully mature and ready to use in production projects. I personally use it myself.

If you want an alternative, there’s Fusion but it isn’t mature and is prone to bugs and breaking changes: GitHub - dphfox/Fusion: A modern reactive UI library, built specifically for Roblox and Luau.

That makes sense, thank you!

I’ll keep off fusion for now, as the devs indeed recommend against it until it’s fully released. But good to keep my eye on too!

I’d say that Roblox’s build is mature, they use it in their hero products (roblox universal app)

+1 on this, unfortunately the branch being a mirror of internal branches means that documentation gets lost along the way.
Some of the documentation is scattered here: Luau Libraries available for use

The docs for react-lua are here: Roact Documentation

Hope this helps!

2 Likes