Looking for feedback on my first game

Hi everyone. Today, I finished my FPS project that has been in development for quite some time now, and I’m posting here to get some feedback on it.

As the title of this topic implies, this is the first full game I’ve finished! I’ve had lots of practice and I decided to rework and revamp an older project of mine to the potential I couldn’t reach when I started it over a year ago.

The game is a fast-paced shooter that is based around making and experimenting with various weapon combinations, with some movement mechanics included. Some weapons improve your mobility, others allow you to take advantage of certain playstyles, and some are well-rounded which can fit any playstyle. You have 3 slots, 2 reserved for “primary” weapons and 1 reserved for your melee weapons which serve more as a utility than a weapon.

I’m looking for feedback on three main things:

1. Gameplay - Did the game feel fun and satisfying? Do you think it has replay value, and what would you change about it?
  2. Clarity - Was the game confusing to learn, and was the tutorial informational? Were the controls reasonable and understandable?
  3. Game balance / overall idea - Did the game feel fair, and do the ideas feel fleshed-out?

You don’t also have to give feedback on just these 3 things, I also do want to hear some of your thoughts about other things like the modeling, maps, animations, etc. so I know what I can do to improve in the future.

The controls are in the menu, I also recommend doing the tutorial even if you’re an experienced FPS fan, since this game can be confusing to learn. You can also press the testing tab in the menu in order to try out every weapon at once. I’ll also possibly be in-game to answer questions and to play the game.

Thank you for reading and possibly considering leaving your thoughts, this is the link to the game:

7 Likes

Very cool and amazing game, it was fun playing with you and a bunch of other players. Definitely has replay value if you include currency and a shop. Shop can include skins, effects, death effects, emotes etc.

Learnt the game within a couple of minutes of spamming buttons etc, (skipped tutorial).

Nevertheless, great game and quite funny with emotes and the death messages.

5 Likes

I think im a little late, but I can judge you on the exoskeleton of the game

1. The description could be spiced up a little, use emojis
  2. Badge Icon is not centered, the adept one
  3. Make more badges, welcome badge, time badge, something to earn

Good game overall, I might play it soon

3 Likes

whats the point of adding emojis to the description, what type of suggestion is this.
its more of an overused trope then something you should use.

1 Like

Thank you! I considered adding a shop early in development but I scrapped it since I didn’t want players to feel limited, but now I think that the game does need a bit more to drive players to actually play the game, since it not only would increase replay value but it would help make the game more fun overall. I think adding a badge-award system would help out a lot, on top of a shop. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I noticed that the adept learner badge was off-centered about an hour after I uploaded it, but never changed it and completely forgot. Gonna go back to change it since you reminded me. Also badges are a good suggestion, they were never something that I really considered until I realized players need more to do than to just fight each other. I’m going to try to make badges give rewards and have requirements that stray from usual gameplay.

1 Like

its eye catching duh, it looks bland without them

1 Like

I don’t really think it needs emoji’s and if it has it or not isn’t really going to affect its player count but I do agree the description is kinda bland. Games like adopt me which I am assuming has the majority of children playing has a lot of emoji’s in its description. My point is its just more appealing to the younger audience then the older one. It’s just an extra which really shouldn’t be a big deal.

This is pretty good!

1. The UI needs HUGE rework. Some are too big, small, some are not eye catching and hurts to look at.
  2. It will look best in first person, I believe.
  3. It’s super laggy for low end devices.
  4. The menu could use some work, try to play around with it.

This is a good game that needs lots of rework in the art department, if you can fix that and optimize the game, you have successfully made a good one! Keep me updated and keep up the good work!

1 Like

The UI was probably the most difficult thing for me to make, and I will be honest - the menu GUI in the main mode was designed with relative haste, I really dislike almost everything about it and I’ve had plans for reworking it for a long while. I’m also aware of the unalignment in the main menu, I was actually working on fixing it at the time of your reply lol

Performance is also something that was planned for me to improve, the game’s visual effects are REALLY demanding at times. I’ll be calming down the particle effects and I’ll also add settings for performance.

Some examples of what UI elements are problematic / not eye-catching would be nice, even though I think I know what you’re referring to with just those descriptions (The timer, the map / death announcements, outlines on the main menu buttons, the entire dang menu for combat mode and the weapon select frame, list goes further unfortunately)

Thank you for your feedback, gonna start with UI changes before anything else.

1 Like

Take your time, basing on how you talk about it, I can tell that you are passionate about this. The only advice I can give you right now is to take your time and play around with the settings. Good games take time to make, but GREAT games take love and care to make. I’m proud of what you had made and can’t wait for more! Just play around with the UI and settings and if you think it’s finished, trust your gut. There is always room for improvement.

1 Like