Looking for feedback on my lives-based platformer game

I am currently looking for any and all feedback on my game. This is an obby game, with the difference being that the player is given multiple game modes to play through the course with. These could be having a limited number of lives, or a timer that counts down to your doom. The idea is to give the player some variety and options for playing the same overall levels, as well as ranking them based on performance in a particular mode.

I invite anyone who is willing to playtest the game and give feedback in a few specific areas. How is the difficulty? Is the game fun to play, engaging? How is technical performance? Audio volume? These are my main concerns, but feel free to voice anything that comes through your head. I want to get a good idea of what people think of the game, what they like, and what can be improved. Thank you!

( āœ¦ ) Trial and Error Land - Roblox

5 Likes

For anyone wondering why doesnā€™t the link work then here:

The link doesnā€™t work because itā€™s invalid, here is the original link posted by OP: s://www.roblox.com/games/2231920360/Trial-and-Error-Land
Fixed:

(It seems like OP fixed it already)

My reviews for the game:

This has to be the best game I have ever seen on this platform. Bravo @shipleydog2 :clap: :clap:

I love the style of the game and itā€™s playfulness, though I do have some suggestions and issues with the game:

The game has many spots where there is a lot of Z-Fighting i.e parts and overlapping one another, you could fix that by increasing the parts size by a tiny bit like 0.01.
The game has not very good looking animations, I donā€™t like how the player runs. Make the animations more classical like robloxā€™s.

The game is fun but I donā€™t like that you are using the default movement system. This type of game would feel amazing if it had a momentum based movement system.

2 Likes

Thank you! And addressing the issues, the z-fighting really bothered me and your solution is something I will seek out. In regard to the animations, thatā€™s usually a strong point I got from people but at the same time I get where youā€™re coming from, it can take a lot of time to get used to. The movement system is pretty plain, but I have tried making a momentum-based solution before and it always felt slippery and not very good to platform with. I appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to play! Iā€™ll look into this stuff to see if I can improve the game overall.

1 Like

Hey there, I throughly enjoyed what I played! This obbyā€™s theme and, thumbnail, and movement felt really great.

I really did like the animation, it was a mix of ā€œplatformerā€ and roblox; and that really extends to everything to the artstyle (reminds me of many Mario games) and the gameplay feel!

The only suggestion I have is that, this gameā€™s polish really reminds me of Super Check Point, in a really good way! The problem is that people really end up leaving that game the second their lives run dry, and they definitely donā€™t leave likes after that.

I felt that was unfortunate, because thereā€™s a AMAZING game behind it (definitely try it if you havenā€™t), and many of my friends that left the game behind came back and REALLY enjoyed it once I told them there was a freerun mode that simply removed the lives.

I feel like for maximum retention, having the lives be something you activate (and maybe get something for completing, like the regular checkpoint used to have your name get larger and more rainbow colored as you won more difficulties.) I hate that itā€™s something I have to suggest, but many players on this platform wonā€™t have patience to restart content!

Thatā€™s just a suggestion though, lives have many benefits on creating tension and edging out that win with a low life count might just create life long fans as well! So donā€™t take my word for it and trust your gut. :slight_smile: This is a great game!

2 Likes

Thank you! I really appreciate all the positive feedback, and the Super Checkpoint inspiration is definitely intentional, probably the game on the platform that impacted me most. The freerun thing is something Iā€™ve thought about doing, and will probably end up implementing for those who donā€™t want to deal with lives. It means a lot to hear from you!

1 Like

First off, awesome game! I like the music and overall gameplay, but especially love the red platform that pops in when you touch the red orb. Thatā€™s awesome!

Here's a list of feedback:
  • Data Saving (?) - After trying to play the game later, I realized my progress did not save despite still having lives. That would be nice, but I it could be a thing where the design is to play in one session.

• Some sections had a style of level design and platforming like was more sporadic. I canā€™t exactly put my finger on it, but I found it more difficult, something like ā€˜Getting Over It with Bennett Foddyā€™ on a far less level. idk. I personally enjoy the more ā€˜groundedā€™ feeling levels.

• I can appreciate these sections though because they break up the other style of platforming.
  • Moveset - Iā€™d enjoy something more than moving and jumping, but there is a decent amount of innovation in or general use of jumping.

• Ladders - I personally didnā€™t enjoy the ladders as I was first playing on an Xbox controller. Maybe itā€™s just me, but it felt like getting the character to snap or connect to the ladder using my Xbox controller was much harder compared to using a keyboard. Thatā€™s not a you thing though, either a Roblox thing or a me thing.

• Confusion in what damages the player - sometimes I was confused as to if something would damage me, but I learned quick after dying to something. My second go around was more smooth.

(these twisty things are kinda annoying, but thatā€™s a part of the fun, lol.)

• This section I recommend teaching the player about the thinner platform in a safer environment, then doing the following:

• Animation - I personally enjoy the animation, but wonder if the arms spreading out when jumping impacts getting damaged. I assume thereā€™s a hitbox rather than the entire body (and many accessory) being the hitbox.

• Life-Coin Regen - Having life coins regenerate on death would make the game more forgiving, not sure your design preference, but I thought Iā€™d mention it since they donā€™t regen.

• Awesome section here connecting mechanics:

I have two videos of me playing so far. The first video I cut because I had to go somewhere, so the second video is a second attempt. Later in that 2nd video I comment about certain parts as I go through it. I recommend watching the videos in x2 speed, if you do watch them, lol. Theyā€™re a bit long.

Videos:

also, I met the developer of the game omg! :fire:

(I didnā€™t say bye, my bad, I jumped into the portal thing.)

Iā€™ll be sure to play the 4th level/area when I can. Prob tomorrow. Other people mentioned the z-fighting, so yeah. Anyhow, again, awesome game and thanks for making it! :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you! It was great meeting the developer of a game I liked as well, Iā€™ll add :smiley:

All of your points I agree with to be honest, Iā€™m gonna look into tweaking the level design a bit. The color of the parts that damage the player vary by world specifically, but I definitely see how it can be confusing. Gonna watch these videos too, super weird having like an hour of footage of my own game ngl Kind awesome ā€¦ I wish you luck on area 4 though itā€™s rough

2 Likes

I tried playing on my PS4 and I think I encountered a bug. The red platform ball thing isnā€™t regenerating properly I think (stage 22?). Sadly, the PS4 sucks at trying to connect to my YouTube account. So, all I have is a picture from my phone:

1 Like

Weird im gonna have to check that out. Ive gotten reports like this but havent ever seen it happen even in hours total of testing. Not sure ehat it could be but thatā€™s a problem

2 Likes

Could make it so people can teleport to a specific stage if they already completed it (maybe only in lifeless mode)? I want to complete the game, but I canā€™t seem to in one sitting. I got to stage 25 in lifeless mode and I kinda donā€™t wanna have to replay everything to get back to that point.

also alsoā€¦

Iā€™d make the yellow platforms wait on the player rather than automatically moving. Waiting can take a while.

1 Like

Tbh saving would be great but i rrslly jave no idea how to do it, and yeah the yellow platform thing i agree with a lot

2 Likes

The game is amazing and I feel like it is perfect but you need to make the jump sound slightly more quiet, This can be done by just changing the volume property in the sound, but it hurts my ears on how loud it is compared to everything else.

1 Like