Looking for Solution for Discord Bot, Experience Points Storage & HTTP Requests

I’m looking for a solution that I can use to host my Discord/NOBLOX.JS bot where it can receive HTTP requests from ROBLOX games using the HTTPService.

Obviously I’ve looked into the obvious well-know solutions; Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web-Services. However I really want something much more simpler as I personally really dislike both services due to the overbearing complexity of the UI design, naming schemes & unclear descriptions.

Obviously I’m using Node.JS for my solution, I’ve made smaller versions of the solution which involve a simple & small Discord Bot Hosting service. However my need is to be able to receive HTTP requests to the bot so I can manage moderation better as well as sync experience between my ROBLOX games & Discord Server.

I really hope there’s good simple solutions for my needs, any suggestions, guidance or important advice is appreciated.

If it comes to it I will ofc use Microsoft Azure as a last resort, I’m just mostly looking for a simpler solution first as the learning curve for Microsoft Azure is going to be fairly undertaking however I am prepared to do this if there are simply no other ways.

Solution Requirements in Brief:

• Node.JS Runtime Environment
  • Receive HTTP Requests
  • Some sort of Data Storage, don’t mind/care if its a “proper” database or simply just a file directory with a Terabyte.

Thankyou in Advance

2 Likes

for hosting performance-light tasks like Discord bots, i use DigitalOcean’s droplets for a quick solution.

you literally just buy a droplet and click Console to enter Linux (i use Ubuntu) as root, then you can send over your Discord bot code through git, or use an FTP client to just drag your files in. the prices are pretty cheap, a bot will probably work on 512MB RAM ($4 p/m) and definitely work at 1GB ($6 p/m)

this doesn’t exactly cover your storage use case - the SSD is not a lot at all (only 10-25GB for the base droplets!) - but it can accept web requests through its assigned IP address. it can also run anything, being a mini VM.

you can use your own domain if you want, either use DigitalOcean’s nameservers, adjust the DNS A record, or point web requests to the IP address - although you can’t get HTTPS through the last method

for the database, i would honestly think about using something like Supabase and just integrating their JavaScript SDK into your project. there’s not much value in getting your own full database until your bot is being heavily used. that being said, digitalocean do offer hosted SQL databases, but the prices are quite high for a product like that and honestly imo isn’t worth it.

you can use my affiliate link if you want, you get $200 in free credit and i get $25:
https://m.do.co/c/084de397ebb4

1 Like

I’ll definitely check it out.

The reason I’m looking for a solution for some sort of Database is because I want to be able to add XP or moderation logs through the Discord server, I don’t see any reliable method of doing so with DataStores alone however It may just be down to me not knowing enough about ROBLOX features.

Atm my current demo/pre-solution is using JSONs within the the bot host to store experience points and moderation information however I don’t think It’s possible with the current host to use HTTP requests. I should probably double check tho.

For the most part I wanted to see if theres any really good obvious solutions out there that anyone knows about as I know i’m not the only one with the same problem set.

1 Like