Looking Forward in 2020: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Are top games going to be forcibly mechanically translated? Wow.

2 Likes

hopefully we will actually get the features planned this yearā€¦ :frowning:

4 Likes

What can this do exactly, Iā€™m wondering if this could be used to deform meshes as the game is running (image example below)

Am I misunderstanding what it is?

4 Likes

You can test all the cool things related to mesh deformation and bones here

3 Likes

I almost forgot: Large Object Stores is also on my list. Would be quite useful for a feature I am working on in my game (as well as other games like tycoons and building games)

1 Like

are videoframes cancelled or for next year?

6 Likes

Vouch. What happened to itā€¦ One of the most limiting parts of the roblox engine. Please donā€™t tell me its canceled.

2 Likes

Basically the meshes can deform i.e bend, stretch etc

credits to @Tybearic

16 Likes

atmospheric fog already sounds beautiful.

2 Likes

I canā€™t wait for so many of these. These features wonā€™t just morph how Roblox looks, it will massively improve performance too (which I desperately need since Iā€™m a high-detail builder!). Hopefully this might allow those with bigger games to open their doors to the mobile world as well.

This will bring animations to a whole new level. When this was first released as a test version on github, I saw someone made a moving fire hydrant. It blew my mind at the time and gave me endless ideas.

Having custom materials will really open up so many doors for builders and designers. @Yourius has already made quite some impressive designs with this.

Fog desperately needed a rework and this, along withā€¦

ā€¦is very welcome.

Lastly, this really excited me as proper lighting really can bring a scene, or even an entire world together.

9 Likes

Very excited for all of this.

Iā€™m exceptionally excited to see support for 200 player servers. I donā€™t want to be a downer though, but will this come with better, (or at least more understandable in laymans terms) developer tools to solve lag problems?

Also exceptionally excited for facial animation, though Iā€™m not sure if it will be as good as using a spritesheet yet.

Super excited anyway! Maybe 2020 isnā€™t cancelled I guessā€¦? Yet?

2 Likes

I think the new features look really cool, like custom materials and I canā€™t wait for PBR v3.
Does Faster CSG mean that Iā€™ll be able to do more complex unions which I couldnā€™t have done before because of my pc specs?
Facial animations sound cool as well

1 Like

I am so excited for the new audio searching feature! This will make it so much easier to find sound effects and such!

1 Like

Facial animations gonna be helpful when I work on my roblox animations.

1 Like

is it just me or does anyone else think of the dev roadmap as the highlight of the year?

for real though, this yearā€™s looks really promising and i canā€™t wait for all these neat sounding features!

5 Likes

Wooow i was not expecting this at all, this roadmap came outta

Iā€™m really excited for Custom Textures
And the Fog Update

And Meesh Deeeformation

5 Likes

I honestly have no idea what to say about this, but this is AMAZING, this year seems like a very promising year for roblox development!

6 Likes

4th Quarter seems to be very interesting, Iā€™m curious to see how facial animation will work out with other faces.

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking:

• Ephemeral DataStores have been replaced by MessagingService: a service which handles temporary data at universe level; great for matchmaking.
  • Phased Game Updates is version control; Save to Roblox vs. Publish to Roblox.
  • Universe Scripts & Game Services will be Cloud Scripts.
2 Likes

Ah brilliant. I always look forward to the roadmap, this yearā€™s is looking brilliant! Excited to see these upcoming features roll out. :+1:

2 Likes