LOTS of Decals to upload. Is it allowed?

I’m not sure if I’m in the right section for this but here we go:

I’ve been wanting to achive a video-esque effect but in order to do so I have a mass amount of images to upload. (~500 images eek i know)

I made something that uploads an image every 5 seconds from a frame of a video but have neglected to use it in the case that roblox won’t like what I’m doing.

My questions are as follows:

• Is it okay to do this?
  • Is there a better method that won’t sacrafice quality?
1 Like

Is it a simple video-esque effect? like that of a vhs tape or something? because then there’s probably better ways to go around it by animating screengui elements. Otherwise, while i don’t think roblox would necessarily do something about it, there is a decal upload limit of around 200~300 (cant recall) per month, and if your account isn’t id verified, then the limit is only 10.

If you are gonna do this still, I would recommend using the asset manager’s bulk importer, rather than the website to upload the images.

1 Like

I’m not ID verified and I can upload more than 10 decals.

Anyways, I don’t think you’ll get moderated for uploading decals, they’re not going into the toolbox/spamming the decal section.

I uploaded like 80 images in around an hour once (using the batch import), you will be fine but it will take a while as you will get rate limited up to 50 seconds after every 5th decal soon after reaching somewhere around 20 images.

After trying to upload a few more (can’t recall the exact amount but it’s most likely somewhere around but less than 100) I got blocked from uploading decals for 17 hours. So you most likely won’t be able to upload them all in a single day.

If you’re gonna upload a lot of files you should probably set it to every 15+ seconds just to not get blocked like I did.

1 Like

Thank you for shining a light on the issues when uploading a large number of images. I can relate to your challenge, as I’m also working on a project that requires a significant amount of images.

To directly answer your questions:

1. As far as I understand, the current guidelines allow you to upload images but within the constraint of 100 uploads every 30 days. Therefore, uploading 500 images would take a substantial amount of time under the existing rules.
  2. While I don’t have a perfect solution that won’t sacrifice quality, I’ve considered a similar challenge for my own project. You might be interested in a plugin that lets you “test” images, although it’s not a direct workaround for the upload limit.

Additionally, I’d like to point out that the existing upload limits can be particularly restrictive for projects like ours that require a large number of images. I’ve previously suggested that smaller file sizes (e.g., less than 1MB) should be considered for exemption from the upload cap. This could be a more nuanced approach that allows for greater flexibility while still adhering to the platform’s constraints.

I hope this helps.

Roblox likes to pretend it’s usable as an actual game engine, but what actual game engine does THIS?

My graphics designer has to wait 23 HOURS?