Low FPS when "Move" or "Rotate" gizmos selected

Reproduction Steps

1. Select “Move” or “Rotate” gizmo in Home or Model tab
2. Observe a consistent, noticeable drop in FPS when not actively dragging a handle & moving something

The microprofiler points to a lengthy GetSetting call. I’ve tried reinstalling Studio, disabling all beta features, and disabling all installed plugins, to no avail.

Microprofiler Dump
microprofile-20221204-041402.html (6.7 MB)

System Information
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 32.0 GB, AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on 10/18/2022
OS build 22621.675
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

Beta Features
CSG Version 3
Intuitive Debugger
New Text Chat Service
Save rig with Animation
Scripts Are Non-Strict By Default

Expected Behavior

I expect the built-in gizmos to not decrease performance.

Actual Behavior

Frame performance is significantly reduced.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-11-22 00:11:00 (-08:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-12-04 00:12:00 (-08:00)

2 Likes

Can you show a video recreating? I’m using similar hardware and can’t get the same outcome.

I woke up today to a similar issue. I’m just spinning the camera slowly at a constant rate and it will randomly hiccup. This looks like a frame lag followed by a rotation jump over 90 degrees from the last frame. It’s occurring on all my local games. It’s super disruptive!

Edit: I restarted my machine (literally only had it running for an hour) and I’m not experience my low fps issue now. It was probably unrelated to the OP’s issue.

Hi, nomer! We’re going to investigate this soon, will report back if we find anything. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yikes, I know what this is.

If you briefly hold down Tab to summon the handles at least once with each dragger tool selected that should work around the issue for the time being until we can get a fix in.

(TL;DR: The result of GetSetting isn’t getting cached but once you use handle summoning it will start getting cached correctly)

6 Likes

Filed a fix for this internally. We’re on code freeze right now so won’t come out until beginning of next year. Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks like this was fixed late last year, and I cannot repoduce. Marking this bug as closed.

Oh no you don’t! I have this issue, however it occurs the other way around. When I try to drag a large object with the move tool, my frames will drop.

This was only SEVEN objects.
(Specifications: Ryzen 9 5950x, 128 gigabytes of RAM, RTX 4060 TI)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.