Low player satisfaction in my platformer game

I’ve been working on a platformer game which hasn’t had very good feedback so far. I’ve been getting decent visits but so far the game is mostly getting dislikes. I know the game isn’t fully complete yet (only three levels so far), but I’m unsure where to make changes for the existing gameplay to improve player satisfaction. Every now and then, I’ve noticed some game-breaking bugs which I’ve actively been working on fixing (but for most players this isn’t a problem, so I doubt it would be a significant cause of dislikes). Any feedback or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

This is the only thing I saw in the entire game. Where is the game xd

Maybe I didn’t make the instructions very clear, the Palace is supposed to be more a shop place. (The palace obby is going to be more like side content or post-game content)
The red levels on the world map are the ones that are meant to be played.

I made a change to the start of the game so hopefully the objective is more clear

Hello, I played the game and I really liked it! Some areas I would like to see improved are:

The sprinting functionality
I’d prefer for the shift key to be held instead of being a toggle, since in my playthrough I constantly forgot I could stop sprinting during the sections of levels that needed more precision.

Adding momentum
Currently, the controls feel kind of like just walking in a normal Roblox game. This could be fixed by adding a momentum system similar to 2D Mario games, where once the player starts running, it takes some time to reach the maximum speed.

Minor technical gripes
I noticed there’s some stuff that’s done on the server when it could be done in the client, so when your network is under load, certain things like coins lag:

(You can use my jumping character as reference)

You can also fall off the sides of the stage which might frustrate players, especially those that play on mobile

To end on a positive note, here are the things that I enjoyed the most:

The storytelling
I like that the story doesn’t take itself too seriously, and the fact that the characters are like bootleg, alternate reality versions of their Mario counterparts

The power ups
The bunny powerup adds a lot of flexibility to your move set and allows you to correct your jumps midair, which makes the platforming more satisfying. I think the knight power up needs an additional ability like a charge attack, but I also like it since it destroys spikes and stone walls, making traversal easier.

The 3D
Something that has a lot of potential about this game is the levels, because they’re not fully flat. Like Mario 3D World and 3D Land, you could expand on this concept by incorporating it into your level design, which could make the game feel a lot more dynamic.

I think this game has a lot of potential, and I hope it does well. I wish you good luck on your development journey!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll definitely keep that in consideration