Low-Poly Grass for Adventure Game

Hello,

I have a question about ‘realistic’ grass on ROBLOX. It is hard to create grass that does not look blocky or fake using simple bricks with a simple texture. I also don’t want to have to go to Blender and make a whole mesh either. Is there a way I could use a workaround?

Thanks.

3 Likes

A particle system of grass decals would be your best bet. If you want the grass to look believable you’ll need a large quantity of them, and using meshes for that can be very resource intensive.

7 Likes

My game is designed to be low poly, I’m not sure how using particles would fit the ‘theme’.

You will probably need to use blender or something along those lines to create a grass object(s) in order to achieve that low-poly look while not using particles

2 Likes

It seems finicky though, my game is designed to be a adventure game, maybe creatures roaming around rather than random encounters in grass (like Pokemon) would be easier. I’ll look into it.

You can always attempt using grass decals from vectors with flat colors or gradients. These work pretty well in a low poly environment.

I’ll look into it, though sharp blades of grass seem like quite unlike usual low poly designs.

Over a small area using particles seems to work well, however over large regions the grass is spread out and does not fill the area well. How could I fix this?

If there is too many of these particle grasses they usually cause lag, unless you find a way to optimise it.

I have found a way using transparent bricks that fits in with the low-poly style, however there is a rendering issue. See the two images:
img1
img2
The grass appears and disappears depending on the camera angle.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Its because you didn’t lay out the parts properly and neither did you scale it.

What do you mean? The grass is meant to fade off as it gets taller.