Low poly maps attract more players than detailed maps?

The game my team and I are working on (Sword Reborn) have decided that we will use a low poly map to attract the younger players. Is this a good idea, because we went through the problems of modelling everything in blender and uploading them up to Roblox.
This is a peek of the map.

10 Likes

Really depends on what type of game you’re making. If it’s a simulator, you need low poly to attract players. If it’s shooter game, I would recommend realistic.

3 Likes

What about an anime like game, we took inspiration from Sword Art Online and went for a particular theme. So everything isn’t detailed and more of the cartoony type.

2 Likes

Low-Poly is a really good build style and has a lot of advantages:

• It has a clean and simple building style.
  • It is less laggy for most devices meaning that more players can easily play it without any lag.
  • And most importantly, it has a certain simplicity and pleasure to looks at it.

I think it’s a good choice but it really depends on the type of game you want to make just like @ParkCityUSA mentioned.

3 Likes

low poly works better with an anime game in my opinion.
Realism would work ok as well but eh, i prefer cartoony style over realistic for anime games.
(btw the map looks great)

1 Like

Thanks, we also had to change characters/NPC’s looked due to the map, our first attempt was a detailed map but it wasn’t as pleasing as the map we built now.

This is the player’s character and it doesn’t look bad with the map actually.

1 Like

oh cool it suits well with the map style

would definitely play after the release

good luck ^^

1 Like

It accually depends on the community you are going for. As we all know most of the 11-13 year old users enjoy low poly designs because of their style. But if you want a more high quality (I will say that here quality doesn’t come with quantity) community you should definitely go for a detailed design.
Just think about the game you are working on and the topic. If it’s something that 11-13 year old users like then go for a low poly design. If it’s a more competitive and complex game like Black Hawk Rescue Mission or Northwind then you should go for a detailed design.

But, Roblox has a huge community and there’s millions of people with different likings. If you make a great game you can get a lot of players with both designs. But I still think that low poly designs are going to get more players to your game because of the optimization benefits of it and overall it looks nice.

2 Likes

Well that is true, but mixing realistic lighting with low poly maps looks a lot better than standard lighting.

1 Like

Yes I agree it looks good with proper lightning but how is that relevant with my reply?

1 Like

Usually very detailed maps would have great lighting and Low poly otherwise, I’m just saying combining the good lighting with the map makes it better than what people perceive.

1 Like

Eh I think that as long as it doesn’t look way too shabby it’s fine(which in your case it is). Most of the time the players don’t stare into your houses for holes or if it is detailed or not lol(only devs do that). Gameplay matters way more.

I think a more realistic look is better for this type of game but low-poly could be an option if you want to differentiate the game.

short answer: just get ads
long answer: it depends on what game it is, how many vibrant colors you want, age range, and the algorithm. if he thinks you are worthy you get people in the game. what happens to a lot of games though is the algorithm takes them to the hole of [ Content Deleted ] or 0 players. That’s why the good games are alyways missing. simulators are always at the top with 482 gamepasses, while good games that aren’t pay to win or don’t have pets are at the lowest. the only thing you should really do is get ads because not many people would care.