Low Poly vs. Realistic for a Role-Playing Game

Hello,

I’m seeking some advice on the design for my city-themed role-playing game, which is similar to popular titles like “Brookhaven,” “Berry Avenue,” “LifeTogether,” and “Livetopia.” Many of these games feature a low-poly aesthetic, though I’ve noticed they often use Roblox textures or custom-designed textures for their models.

I’m debating whether to go with a low-poly style or aim for something more realistic. However, I’m aware that a more realistic design might cause performance issues for mobile players, who make up a significant portion of the Roblox user base. Additionally, it seems that players under the age of 13—or slightly older—tend to gravitate towards low-poly games, as these often capture the most attention.

I’d appreciate your feedback on which map design approach I should take—Low Poly or Realistic.

Thank you!

I would suggest going low-poly, as the general target audience for these games (from what I have seen, this might not be accurate) are generally younger and are likely to be interested in bright colors and cartoony/unrealistic visuals.