Luau-Powered Autocomplete & Language Features: Documentation + Full Release!

This seems extremely useful for programmers, although I wanted to ask, would masking GUI elements be a thing later on? Mb for asking here, but I wanted a clear answer if in the coming months we would be able to see masking for GUI elements since it has been one of the harder things to do as a roblox game dev.

Thanks, I needed it. I swear that when this was first announced but not released, studio’s auto-complete got worse. Probably just because I started noticing it.

Now that it’s here I’ll be happy

1 Like

I made a AI for that you can check out.

Great update!

I read previously that when typing “w” it intentionally suggests “Workspace” (with an uppercase “W”) so that “game.w” becomes “game.Workspace”, however if you’d like to reference the shortened path (with a lowercase “w”) on it’s own, “workspace”, it has to be typed manually. This is also the case when typing “g”, you’re suggested “Game” before “game”, though the upper-cased variant is deprecated.

game

It looks like you don’t have the beta feature enabled. Turn it on under the Beta Features setting menu (or wait till the rollout gets to you) and you’ll see the deprecated issue has been fixed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perfect, glad to see this was fixed! Thank you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m currently having massive issues with this beta feature, making me unable to open certain places, whether they’re published, are team create, or are a Roblox Studio file. I’m unsure why this beta feature does that exactly, maybe depending on the amount of scripts within the place, but unfortunately as soon as I open certain places, my Studio immediately crashes. Let me know if you need any video evidence in order to help with this issue, but as of right now, I currently only have screenshots of the error I get, and of the feature.

Beta Feature:

Error:

Note: The error was obtained whenever the feature was enabled.

Note 2: Earlier before this started happening, the feature was causing big lag spikes or/and caused Studio to freeze for a few seconds, whenever a script that’s in game was opened.

1 Like

My feedback revolves around the sorting of the autocomplete suggestions. No longer can I reliably type the shortest variable and press enter before finishing, now it suggests in completely random orders, having the opposite of its intended effect.

In other words, please update the sorting of the suggestions given, preferably similar to the old version’s sorting order.

I was trying to type “player”

Here I was trying to type “WebhookModule”

Please add a studio option to disable deprecated API suggestions too, please.

3 Likes

Do you have 64 bit or 32 bit Studio installed? You can find this information in File → About Roblox Studio menu (or post a screenshot of it).

According to the information in About Roblox Studio, I have the 32bit version installed

That’s good feedback about sorting by shorter completions > longer completions. You should see that be changed soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome to hear that it’s been added to the list of changes. On that note, I’d also like to post about a different issue that may have been hard to spot given the specific circumstances in which it arises.

If no closing parenthesis and end quotes have been given, no proper class-autocomplete options are given. I can’t remember if that was an issue before or not, but I’d appreciate it if that was touched on as well.

Keep up the great work, I’m loving the update so far!

Suggestion: specify GroupService:GetGroupsAsync's return type which should be:

function GroupService:GetGroupsAsync(userId: number): {
    {
        Name: string,
        Id: number,
        EmblemUrl: string,
        EmblemId: number,
        Role: string,
        IsPrimary: boolean
        -- Ignoring IsInClan, as that's deprecated.
    }
}

end

Right now it says it returns {any}. So no auto completion. :confused:

1 Like

I was wondering what happened to the autocompletion via ObjectValue.Value, which used to be possible in the old Luau. I really hope the autocompletion via ObjectValues is added back soon.

As a temporary workaround, you can assert type of the value by using :: and typeof operators:

local Seat = script.PilotSeat.Value :: typeof(workspace.PilotSeat)
1 Like

Can you check if you still experience this issue in Roblox Studio version 0.509 that was released today?

Yes, I’m still currently experiencing this issue on version 0.509

1 Like

I’m not sure why the autocomplete feature won’t show up when typing anything that was returned from a module only when I use FindFirstChildOfClass or FindFirstAncestorOfClass functions to get to the module.

Here’s a video that shows the problem:

1 Like

Never saw this post, so I will put my feedback on it now.

It’s an amazing addition!
Only thing I would change is the sorting, and UI. When I type else, it tries to complete to ElapsedTime when I press enter, it gets very annoying.
I would also make the corners on the box rounded, anc change the font. Maybe that’s just me.

Jesus christ, so this was the update…