Ludum | Scratch like visual scripting [🎊 WEBSITE!]

Introduction

Ludum is a visual scripting engine for roblox LUAU built off of googles blockly. It has extensions making it infinitely expandable off the base client meaning that the community can help build onto the client to make it more practical to make games. Ludum is also open source on github for people to modify and help us make it more practical to be used

Installation

Currently the installation is pretty straight forward, theres two versions on our github releases tab, the intallation methods are as follows:

Method 1 : Website

This way is the easiest way, you simply open this link Ludum

Method 2 : EXE

Ludum has a compiled exe which is a electron based app, simply run the installer and it will create a shortcut on your desktop which is fully usable note that this does not auto update

Method 3 : ZIP

Not everyone uses windows, and that is not a worry the zip version should work perfectly fine for you though the installation is a little less user friendly. As ludum is still a work in progress the ZIP file is actually a website, it is much smaller than the EXE and all you have to do is extract the zip file and run the index.html file with any browser of your choice.

How is this comparable to something like eventblocks?

Ludum is much different in the way it operates, firstly ludum is 100% free and always will be. Secondly eventblocks is pretty limited in what it can actually do and cant be built onto in order to actually do these things you will need to do in order to make a game. Fortunately Ludum has extensions!

These extensions can be used to expand onto ludum infinitely, this means that with enough community anything is possible with ludum. You could even make a extension creator with an extension to make them with code blocks.

How does it work?

Ludum works a lot like scratch and is meant to be as understandable as it can be

It is very easy to quickly understand the interface and its uses, a quick script can be thrown together something like this
Simply press on the export button to get your code

Ludum is still in early development and we would love to see you join our community. You can view Ludum’s github by clicking this and if you scroll all the way down on the page we have some other community links like a communications server to get support.

16 Likes

I enjoyed messing around with the code but it has some minor issues, one being that it’s complicated to create a variable since no dialog box pops up asking what the variable’s name is. Overall, I’d say that with improvement and more block choices, this could be a pretty helpful tool!

Yeah we did notice embedding the site into electron seemed to have broken dialogue boxes, all this means is that in the future we will be moving away from electron and more tward c# winforums.

If you intend on using variables or variable creation we suggest you just download the zip using these steps

However I know there is a lack of blocks, the ones built into the client are mostly just a lot of default ones that can be used for general use HOWEVER.

We do have extensions which can unlimitedly expand onto the engine and to find extensions you can come here note that really none are released as we don’t really have a community yet.

Overall thanks for giving feedback as it does help but ludum is mostly created with the intent of everyone coming together to build onto it more of a community sort of thing and developers helping other developers, and less of a monetized project like eventblocks.

Hey this is pretty cool, It might be even better than @Xsticcy’s plugin.

You could probably make the UI a bit better, and change the logo as it’s quite boring in my opinion.

1 Like

Its 100% open source so if theres any changes people think is fit im more than welcome to accepting git changes, as well as updating the ui since its still very early access.

1 Like

Why are more people not talking about this???
This looks amazing and perfect I honestly want to use this so badly just bc the UI great job.

The ZIP version isn’t working. Why not create a website with firebase cause it’s completely free + easy domain. your_name.web.app all for free + ease

The zip version works fine I just tested it entirely, are you sure you are running it correctly and or your dependencies aren’t getting removed by an antivirus?

I’ll look into putting it into an actual website, though me and my friend haven’t worked much on this project since release since nobody seems to actually find it useful.

1 Like

Probably my antivurs but the electron app works perfectly.

Yep it works great asides from custom variables not functioning in it for whatever reason.

1 Like

Website up and running, 100% functional. @Ludum

THAT IS SO MUCH BETTER. This will be 100% easier to use now.

1 Like

Maybe link it on the post at the top so people can access super easy.

1 Like

Already added to the methods section of the OP.

I found this to possibly be really helpful to beginners in coding. The idea of something that can be more specific and simple, and then export it into real luau is crazy! If you manage to make more features for this engine, then I think it will go somewhere.

1 Like

Luckily with the way this is built its actually expandable without the need of base engine expansions though hopefully in the future we can make a much more intuitive interface. At the moment its just a 13 year old and a 17 year old developing this though.

Changes are coming soon, ive expanded the systems to be way more dynamic and ill be releasing a beta for those changes.

Will we ever see strict type checking? I bit advanced and not really needed but it would be nice for the system to define basic types and such.

I can finally get a start on LuaU, getting kind of bored of Java. :heart:

My intent is to make this a much more expanded on block coding system for everyone to use FOR FREE and im working on some kind of project connection similar to rojo as well as improved blocks and very soon tutorials as I just bought a Blue Yeti and im awaiting my PC parts to arrive for my upgrade.