Mac OS Visual Bug

I bought a new MacBook Pro (2016) and I get a certain visual bug when the graphics setting on Roblox is set to max. It goes away when I lower the graphics settings, but sometimes the game starts with Automatic settings and I have to manually change it back.

3 Likes

I’m having the same problem, they’ve confirmed it’s the new Macs only, and it doesn’t seem like they’re in any rush to fix this

4 Likes

I posted about this same issue back in December. I got my 2016 MacBook Pro back in November and Roblox initially ran fine on it without this problem but at some point there seems to have been an update that introduced this issue. Apparently Roblox is aware of the problem and they said they’d need to get their hands on a 2016 MacBook Pro themselves to identify the issue but it’s been quite a while since then.

This isn’t the first time Roblox has ignored or failed to get around to glaring bugs on the macOS client and I doubt it’ll be the last.

I will send Roblox or @zeuxcg my laptop if I have to. There is also an issue with Studio where anytime you type code, the input is very laggy. It doesn’t do this for any other mac, and I can’t find a way around it. I can not work on my game with my laptop because of this.

1 Like

This will help: Script Editor lag, Window-dragging broken, Find issue, Quick Access Toolbar reset

From what I know this is Mac only and specific to the AMD GPU/drivers in the new MBP - we still don’t have one in house to test this.

I’ve switched a setting that may or may not have been responsible for the visual glitch - can somebody who had this issue confirm the current state please?

still visible

Oh well; so much for hoping it would be an easy fix.

if it’s any help, here’s what Ive observed about the glitching:

• the closer you get to an object, more darker glitched out pixels appear
  • games with lighting effects (especially bloom) seem to make it happen a lot more
  • the pixels that glitch out seem to be random, but a lot of the pixels actually outline bricks in the game (example below)

Here’s my game in studio. I’ve colored all the bricks white so you can see how all of those dark lines that are glitching actually create like a bounding box around each part and completely change the colors of the white circles

1 Like

I don’t see a resolution for the issue though?

Just to confirm: this issue only appears on quality level 10?

Can someone post a screenshot that shows how water reflections look on these systems?

yep - only on level 10
edit: Im seeing the water glitches on 9 graphics now (goes away once you go on a low enough graphics that the realistic water goes away)

here’s some water, has much worse appearance that others:

once you get underwater its fine except for the black lines around bricks that you might be near, its mostly bad just on the top reflections. particle emitters and smoke are also just as bad as water, especially if you move your camera into them

Can you post a screenshot with water on level 9?

basically the same as level 10. goes away completely at level 8 since that’s when water reflections go away

1 Like

Ooh, that actually looks kinda neat. When this is fixed, can it be turned into a shader of some sort?

Good news everyone! We got a new MBP and have an in-house repro. Hopefully we’ll be able to find a fix/workaround and ship it quickly; I’ll post here with more news whenever that happens.

1 Like

Awesome! I hope you’ll also be able to look into why typing code in studio is slow too on my Macbook.

That’s not my domain but I’m sure @Silent137 will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to update this thread before but a workaround for this has been enabled today. Can somebody who had this problem confirm that it’s fixed?

Please keep in mind that Studio for Mac sometimes doesn’t auto-update so if you’re checking in Studio make sure your version is 282.

I can confirm that the problem has been fixed. Hooray, this is awesome! :smiley: