Macpherson Strut Suspension

Hi all,

I have been modelling a suspension system recently to gain more 3D experience and practice. There are a lot more components to add, such as a sway bar, rotor, brake calipers, rims etc but at this stage I was really eager to see if I could rig it with constraints in Roblox. It is based off of the macpherson design for use on unibodies, which I also plan to add at some point.

This is the assembly after adding constraints (It was wobbling due to the prismatic constraint for the steering rack but it is fixed now)

This is a chassis which is just the front assembly duplicated with the steering rack welded in place as a quick fix up to see how it drives. The weight and suspension values are completely arbritrary and if it is possible to achieve accurate mass and spring forces apart from raycasting that would be great. The tyres are very rigid which makes the suspension bottom out - I have come across simulated tyre pressure, most notably by quartz708 using the brush model but it is very beyond me as I am mainly art focused.

The model has a lot of opportunity for optimisation where details could be added by normal maps and it is quite basic, but I am happy for my first result. It is not based off of anything in particular, but inspired by many reference photos and basically adding shapes that “feel right”.
I hope someone found this interesting and could share their thoughts!

7 Likes

Okay now make a double wishbone :pray:

1 Like

This suspension looks VERY GOOD! Nice job on it! How long did it take you to create it, and will it be used in any game(s)?

2 Likes

Good job its a good creation and if I can advise you as the other one said before there is a double wishbone

3 Likes

this thing that I am about to advise you is my point of view so I would advise you to put behind it a part that I saw that is missing.

2 Likes

but honestly it’s completely beautiful and congratulations that you know how to create 3D things and also put in a fantastic effort.

3 Likes

The model took two days of on and off work. I would say approximately 10 hours spread out as I am not the fastest. Importing and adding the constraints took roughly two hours. Perhaps I could try to add a configurator with a double wishbone variant as a more high performance option, with macpherson being the stock configuration. I don’t plan to use this in a game, simply experimental for now, however making something similar to BeamNG.Drive crossed with My Summer Car but set in the UK instead of Finland has crossed my mind and I have actually attempted it a few years ago with an object grabbing and shopping system similar to Lumber Tycoon 2 but was limited by my scripting and programming skills and lack of planning

1 Like