Made a basic script for smooth walking acceleration and decelleration

I created a script which allows for smooth walking acceleration and decelleration as I don’t really like the default movement behaviour that Roblox has. This is part of my game I am currently developing and just working out the mechanics and such.

Before

LICEcap_1

After

LICEcap

It is different from the other posts which accomplish the same task, some used the depreciated BodyGyro and some used Humanoid:MoveTo() (which I ended up using).

The script works but I did notice some silly behaviour e.g. the character walking to 0,0,0 (which I found a fix for) and climbing on things can be very buggy.

Code
local Humanoid = script.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid")

local brickRoot = Instance.new("Part",script.Parent)
brickRoot.Color = Color3.new(1,0,0)
brickRoot.Anchored = true
brickRoot.Transparency = 1
brickRoot.Size = Vector3.new(0.5,0.5,0.5)
brickRoot.CanCollide = false
local brickOffset = brickRoot:Clone()
brickOffset.Parent = script.Parent
brickOffset.Color = Color3.new(0,1,0)
brickOffset.Position = script.Parent.HumanoidRootPart.Position

local RunningSpeed = 0

local currentWalkSpeed = game.StarterPlayer.CharacterWalkSpeed

local DecellerationDistance = 2.2

local AccelerationTime = 0.25

local currentPosition = Vector3.zero

local currentAccelerationTime = 0

function smoothAcceleration(deltatime)
	currentAccelerationTime += deltatime
	Humanoid.WalkSpeed = currentWalkSpeed * math.clamp(currentAccelerationTime / AccelerationTime,0,1)
end

function SmoothWalking(deltatime)

local MoveDirection = Humanoid.MoveDirection
	local HumanoidRootPart = script.Parent.HumanoidRootPart
	local HumanoidPosition = HumanoidRootPart.Position
	local RunningFloat = RunningSpeed / Humanoid.WalkSpeed

brickRoot.Position = HumanoidPosition

-- check if there is a drastic change in position e.g. a teleport

if (currentPosition - script.Parent.HumanoidRootPart.Position).Magnitude >= currentWalkSpeed then
		warn("Magnitude too large for walk smoothing")
		brickOffset.Position = brickRoot.Position
		currentPosition = HumanoidRootPart.Position
		return
	end

local RootPosition = brickRoot.Position
	local OffsetPosition = brickOffset.Position

local RootToOffsetMagnitudeFloat = math.clamp(((RootPosition - OffsetPosition).Magnitude) / DecellerationDistance,0,1) -- float decreases as root part is closer to offset

if MoveDirection ~= Vector3.zero then
		brickOffset.Position = HumanoidPosition + (MoveDirection * DecellerationDistance * RunningFloat)
		smoothAcceleration(deltatime)
	else
		currentAccelerationTime = 0
		Humanoid:MoveTo(brickOffset.Position)
		Humanoid.WalkSpeed = currentWalkSpeed * RootToOffsetMagnitudeFloat -- smooth decelleration
	end

currentPosition = HumanoidRootPart.Position
end

Humanoid.Running:Connect(function(s)
	RunningSpeed = s
end)

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(SmoothWalking)
How it (basically) works

The script is located in StarterPlayerScripts and creates a brick called “BrickOffset.”. BrickRoot may not be needed because HumanoidRootPart. It is always on front of the player’s walking direction and would remain offset from the HumanoidRootPart so that I can call Humanoid:MoveTo() to the position of the brick offset when the player releases the key.

LICEcap_3
(The green brick is the Offset brick which helps determine where the player should decellerate to)

The speed of the player decellerates as it approaches much closer to the Offset brick to make it appear as if the player is decellerating from walking.

Acceleration is done by counting from 0 to 0.5 (seconds) in each render and turning that into a multiplier float for the walk speed.

So yeah, I didn’t spend that long on it, and I may probably not touch it again unless you have any improvements to the code and such. Suggestions welcome, thx for reading :slight_smile:

i don’t think you need to bind this to render stepped. One improvement could be binding your function to stepped. Stepped | roblox documentation Your script doesn’t need to be ran with such a high priority.