Made my first texture

so I was playing around with the adobe capture application on my phone and created a wooden plank texture. I originally took a picture of my blanket and it somehow ended up looking like wood so I edited the color and used the heal tool to patch wrinkles up.

this is my first actual texture I have ever made on roblox. does it look good?

13 Likes

Can’t even tell that’s a blanket. O_O

Looks really nice! Good job!

1 Like

Looks OK. I’d recommend flipping some of the planks. Right now there is a large set of 3 creases on the left side of each board that stand out. Just flip that part of the image so that not all of the creases are on the same side. Saying on the topic of the seams, this may not be possible, but try to offset them vertically a bit so that don’t all line up at the same spot. That makes all the boards look very similar to each other, and takes a bit out of the natural look. Obviously, if your original image is 1080 you won’t have much room for this, but if it was 2 or even 4K there is a lot more room to mess with that. Really, anything you can do to make them look less alike is better; have some have the lines more faded, others have the lines pop more, maybe just flip some of the boards vertically so the line on the first, second, and fifth board isn’t always in the same direction, slight color differences if you don’t want the wood to appear painted/heavily stained, ect.

Lastly, one thing you want to do for Roblox atleast is for the number of boards to be a number that can be used to divide 1024 evenly. Roblox’s wooden plank texture has 8 boards, and each board is 128 pixels wide, which brings up the full 1024 resolution. You have 5 boards, so if you want each board to be exactly one stud thick they would need to be 204.8 pixels, which isn’t a nice number to work with.

26 Likes

thank you! I was so confused on why it looked so much like wood and even had to ask my friend what he first thought. he immediately said it looked like wood.

I actually fixed some of it (will do more later)
and I will try flipping the planks. far as offsetting them I am unsure but I can give that a go too.

1 Like

The texture appears to tile seamlessly in the horizontal direction, but not quite in the vertical. It’s very close, but players with an eye for detail will be able to notice seams, and recognize them as being distinctly different from intentional gaps between boards. What I normally do to fix this, since I user Photoshop but no special seamless texture tools or plugins, is just make my image canvas 200%, keeping the original (usually 1024x1024) texture in one corner, and pasting 3 copies into the other corners. Then I use the tools like healing brush, stamp tool, etc to fix the seams. Finally, crop the center 1024x1024. If I care about the offset of the texture, I will paste it 4 times again and crop the center once more to get the original bounds. For correction, less is usually more, an actual gradient mask crossfade of the full image is rarely a good idea (it just makes a muddled mess), and semi-random hand-painted fixing is usually the way to go. If there are big brightness or color discontinuities at the border, that is when gradient-masked adjustment layers can be the correct approach.

There is also a notable amount of noise that contrasts with the surrounding pixels, likely an artifact of some of the image level or color adjustments. If you have a non-destructive edit document, you could find the cause, otherwise you can run some type of denoising on it. It will be more visible in game than in browser, since textures can get scaled up a lot when viewed from up close.

You’re right though, it totally looks like wood! And as the WoodReviewer suggests, it’s helpful to work with values you can easily remember for when you go to set the texture’s U and V scaling values (which are in studs).

2 Likes

thank you so much for the input! I will most certainly note it and work on it more.
this is my first texture and I plan on making more after how this one turned out.
practice makes perfect right?

1 Like

I can’t tell if this post is full of memes or really good critique

2 Likes

Looks good. One thing you might want to try is upping the contrast a bit, so the lighter stuff gets lighter and darker darker, to add a bit more of a grain effect to the wood.

10 Likes

am I going in the right direction with this? I took @AllYourBlox’s advise as well and made it 1024 x 1024 and your advice to.
I am not near done as i would like to improve but so far this is what I got

You can also use the Offset tool (under Filters, I think?) and move it 50% in both axes. Then you can just use the heal tool on the + shape it forms in the center of the image. It’s not totally perfect, but an iteration or two of this will make most images nicely seamless if they were relatively homogenous already.

1 Like

Oh yeah, filters->other->offset does exactly as you say. That is faster. I was copy-pasting 4, but otherwise doing exactly as you say, a few iterations of fixing up the “+” seams. That said, I think there is still a use for the 4-copies technique and crop the center technique if you want to resize a seamless texture, as it ensures you don’t add seams from the resize interpolation fudging the edges. Unless Photoshop also has a resize filter that wraps around that I haven’t discovered.

1 Like