Maintaining quality within UIs

Will exporting from PSD into JPEG or PNG will affect how the quality initially was? Since they’re different formats for a purpose
Last question, as ROBLOX mentioned in RDC about the upcoming variable quality of images for low-end computers/mobiles. Will their be an option to force certain images on the top resolution when its needed?

JPEG is a lossy compression format. Yes, you will lose quality. PNG is lossless. You will not lose quality.

3 Likes

Thank you. Is there any formats which would be accepted by Roblox and is the most recommended?

1 Like

PNG. No matter how you do it though, images uploaded are downscaled to 1024x1024

2 Likes

Roblox accepts both of them but all images are turned into a decompressed lossless format internally, so what you upload it in does not really matter. It will take the same amount of memory on-device and scale the same way once used in the engine.

Yeah, but in the end, uploading a JPG will look worse, right?

I don’t think he was concerned with performance as much as quality.

Yeah, my intention was on quality. Would of thought UIs wouldn’t take up too much memory from what I thought

For quality, use PNG since it’s lossless. Also utilize the 9-slice capabilities of ImageLabels/Buttons so that you can have fancy UIs that can be resized.

2 Likes

I recall seeing a tutorial on this, do you know what one it is?

1 Like

Might yield some results if you browse through the forum, I can look for you if you like?

Would be good, thank you

No problem, I’ll reply here if I find something.

Here! Hopefully this helps out!

2 Likes

Yeah exactly what I was thinking of, thank you!

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like