Make A Live Event For My Game

Popular games like Jailbreak, Adopt Me, Mad City, and more have done live events. I was wondering how to do that (I’ve tried os.date() and UNIX). Could anybody help me?

3 Likes

You should try using messagingservice, it allows you to send a request to all servers. MessagingService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

1 Like

I’ve never used it can you explain how to?

I’m not the best at explaining but I’ll try my best ig. :rofl:

Alright so, if you wanted for something to happen in all servers, for ex. a print. You could do something like this:

--  server script
local topic = "allservers"
local msg = game:GetService("MessagingService")
msg:SubscribeAsync(topic, function(message)
-- things that u want to happen
	print(message.Data)
end)

…and to print the message you sent in all servers, you’d do something like:

-- developer console inside an alive server
local topic = "allservers"
local msg = game:GetService("MessagingService")
msg:PublishAsync(topic, "hello") -- the second argument is whats gonna be sent to  all servers.

^ you’d have to run the code above in the developer console inside a server. (not studio)

I hope this helped, if it did please mark it as the solution. Thanks!

P.S. Here is a full wiki post about this: Cross-Server Messaging | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

2 Likes

How who I do a countdown to a date and then have something happen?

You’d have to mess around with os.time (sorry, i can’t give an example). Although, starting the live event by a developer via dev console is good enough imo.

1 Like

Can you please explain why os.date didn’t work?

You need to use os.time() for this. I don’t see how messaging service will be of use here

Same, I don’t see how it is any easier or more useful than os.date or os.time.

To explain why os.date() did not work:
os.date is used for getting the date, not for doing countdowns. To do a countdown, you would need to use os.time() and subtract your result from the time you would like the live event would happen at

What if you only wanted to do a live event that only happened once, then surely os.date() and os.time() would work

I haven’t used os.date() or os.time() and I have found nothing to help on the internet.

You were right by using os.date() and os.time()
If you search up on google, “how to make a live event roblox” that should do the job.

I’m not going to spoonfeed you xD, so here are the resources you’d need (if you can’t figure it out using google)

Let me know if you need more help!

1 Like

I’ve tried this; https://youtu.be/WAyOuLWys1w but it does t seem to work

Follow the links I’ve send you ^^

I can’t now but I will later. Thanks for the help!

1 Like