Make "F" Hotkey for Zoom Camera to Model Work Everywhere

One of the most useful studio hotkeys is “F” which snaps the camera to the currently selected part or model.

However, “F” does not work on Hats or Tools, or, I assume, any other node in the Explorer pane that doesn’t have a 3D position/extents.

I propose “F” should work on any selection and it should zoom the camera to the extents of all ancestor nodes of the one selected in the Explorer pane.

29 Likes

This is still an issue, and more relevant than ever now that Roblox has started a program which lets people upload accessories to the catalog, which results in developers selecting accessories constantly.

Making accessories is one of the most iterative processes right now and can result in developers having many variants in the Workspace that need to be easily identified (organization reasons, developers having properly named accessories in characters, etc.) adding a step to the already fairly tedious process , requiring creators to select the Handle part inside identify the accessory, then naming the Parent properly.

9 Likes

Studio camera controls in general should be looked at.

Selecting a model and pressing F is the main way I move around in a big level because everything is terrible.

For instance, there should be a key that shoots the camera along its ray until it (or some in-frustrum parallel plane) comes within X studs of hitting something. Then I could zip around in a way that doesn’t suck. I would make it double tap W and double tapping A, S, or D would do the same in the other directions.

8 Likes