Make it harder to join the forum

Ah yes, the glorious days when the DevForum was private and even when you could join it took a while before you could actually post anything… I miss them too.

4 Likes

just ban every user who joined after august 2020, easy enough

and then famous devs can go back to yelling at each other in dev discussion

5 Likes

OP’s post is referring to people like you, ironically enough.

Although I wouldn’t say the forum is completely in ruins to the point it’s unusable, there are a lot of pointless posts being made that contribute nothing to the conversation.

As for the fact that any developer, no matter the experience or size, can come on here and ask for help, I believe it’s a good thing. Sure with it being open for everybody it will lure in a bunch of trolls, but those who are genuinely here to get help with no intent to cause any harm, deserve to have such an option.

7 Likes

What!? The devforum cant go on with out me!!

Just kidding, but really, thats a stupid idea. There a good people that just joined late you know?

2 Likes

Yep, I’m aware of that fact.

Maybe more strictly enforcing rules in #development-discussion and making sure “Topics should contribute something to developers” and making sure topics “should be from the perspective of a developer, not a player” would also help. I feel like the relaxed atmosphere of #development-discussion has led some posters to be misled into thinking that its a lounge or chatroom. (See also this post from 2020, although it appears to talk mainly about post approval)

2 Likes

Yeah, I definitely feel like #development-discussion specifically is lacking in its guidelines and specifications. There was a post from 2014 that I managed to get moderated somehow by linking it. It was incredibly off topic.

2 Likes

welp, you joined at august 2022 so say goodbye to yourself

also not everyone who joined after august 2020 is doing malicious things

2 Likes

well yeah, obviously

6 Likes

The amount of people that can’t take a harmless joke is sad.

6 Likes

It’s fine to crack a joke here and there in your post, but if your entire post isn’t in any way contributive or helpful to the topic, it’s pretty useless to do so.

Afterall this isn’t the Roblox Forums reincarnated, devforum serves with the purpose of sharing developers’ opinions, views on certain topics and so on.

Again, a harmless joke every once in a while is fine, but the OP you replied to used to have troll topic(s) posted which are now deleted.

3 Likes

and his little joke can make his career destroyed

What career

I meant reputation, You recently made a few troll posts

1 Like

Troll posts should result in account termination imo. Joining the forum has requirements such as a certain amount of read time, topics read and replies read - I think the values they have set at the moment are great and shouldn’t be modified. It’s already hard enough for newcomers to join the forum.

4 Likes

Or just bring back post-approval and ranking system…reduces the amount of trolls and spam by hefty and more curated environment.

1 Like

and wait 100 hours to get your post approved… (I live far from where most members are [Mainly in the United States])

Since this post has been revived, I couldn’t agree more with this. We need more verification that the people who join the DevForum are who they are and have experience in development. When the DevForum first started, it was very helpful; now, mainly there are people on the DevForum that:

• Just ask questions that have been answered numerous times or repeatedly ask the same question over and over again.
  • Are no help whatsoever when asking for assistance. Most of the time you get a reply that helps very little with your topic.
  • Aren’t experienced in what they are tagged or titled with. For example, you have GFX designers and people with no title that respond to a programming or scripting topic? How is that allowed?

It almost feels like it’s not even a Developer Forum anymore, rather it seems the forum has become what the old Roblox forum was, a place where people with no development experience come to conversate about things that aren’t meant for development or Roblox platform issues/bugs.

5 Likes

Roblox’s problem for not having other curators, so why not have more of the “other”!!

2 Likes

Yeah, but we want moderation to be more flexible while removing the possibility of troll posts. This would reduce the amount of false flagging significantly.

Yet, someone would always ruin that possibility because there’s always going to be people who make troll posts or utterly offensive posts.

Most likely the people from the old forum just moved here and thought this was the “new one”.

4 Likes