Make money off of free models

Firstly, not really - IPs aren’t an exact science, and normally they change frequently. It’s very hard to make a case just based on the same IP briefly (what if you’re using a VPN? maybe hundreds of users share that IP making it silly to do this unless you’re certain)

And yeah, Text matching is very, very different to file matching lol - it just doesn’t work like that (especially in ROBLOX due to the metadata attached which changes frequently)

tbh you should honestly call this thread a lost cause - this idea has too many issues and not enough gains for it to be added

In a lot of countries, including mine, most (if not all) ISPs distribute dynamic IPs unless you pay for a static one. If I restart my router (which in my household happens at least daily, as we turn it off at night), I get a new IP. It’s the same story as why IP bans don’t (properly) work.

You honestly seem to have a very well thought out plan for this, I do think models for sale would fix issues like people wanting to sell builds but get scammed in the end because we don’t have an efficient way of doing so.
I agree with this 200%.

1. A bought page for bought models could work, ROBLOX could have it so if someone does attempt to leak a model when the player tries to save to ROBLOX the model will have a “bought” symbol beside it in studio and when un-grouped the parts of the model are also holding a symbol of the same kind in case someone tries to edit it in any shape way or form it will still have the symbol which the system then knows(Don’t allow to save to ROBLOX)ROBLOX already has an icon beside high quality items. why not implement another for bought models but for both in studio and outside like so.

Something like this even for script can fix the issue.
Do the same thing I showed with scripts to stop people from being able to steal it.

I know this reply is big but I think this could really work.

1 Like

ShareX and some other screenshotting tools have a built-in OCR feature, I would just screenshot the script and the text of the script would be copied to my clipboard.

Protecting source in that way would only work if the script does not appear on your screen. At which point, you introduce security issues because people would be running code in their game that they can’t review (unless they go for underhanded methods of viewing the source, which are still possible since the code is on your machine somewhere since it has to be run in test mode/etc).

You cannot protect script source unless you do not store it on the local machine at all and do not allow people to view the source code. (Both of these things would be harmful to development)

2 Likes

in that case just have it so they can’t view the script at all? If they bought it they bought it for that function and that function alone not to mess with it. You can also have an option on scripts so that the player is allowed to edit it, possibly an open source option.

Let’s say my script is a closed-source model, and you put my script in the game, I can stick whatever functionality I want next to the promised functionality.

When you test with the script, it seems to do exactly what it is described to do. You think it’s great, so you use it in a real game.

Once the script is uploaded to live servers though, my script starts to do something a little different. For example, it could dump your game to my web server, it could ban all of your players at any moment I tell it to, it could teleport all of your players to some other game if I wanted to.

You wouldn’t know what caused it and you couldn’t have known that would happen, since the script is closed source. That’s why it’s a bad thing.

1 Like

Sadly it seems to be impossible to protect the source without it having some negative effects. The cons outweigh the pros with selling scripts I agree, but I don’t think this should destroy the possibility of selling models protecting the re sale of builds seems like a simple solution.
If you think about it most game developers would have hired a scripter to script for them anyways unless help is needed from outside of their development team that the scripter may not be able to figure out.
Other than that I don’t know at this point.

@einsteinK

Okay, you guys are right. IPs is a bad idea.

However, I still do think determining similarity is a viable possibility. The algorithm could be something like this:

1. Scale the model so the max extents is 10 (so resizing model won’t mess up the search)
  2. Round positions and size to nearest tenth
  3. Compare size and position of individual parts and look for correlation
  4. If more than 50% of one of the model’s parts has a correlation of 0.5 or something, then one is a copy of the other and use version history and upload dates to determine

Edit: position and stuff is compared to the model’s center.

Also you need to check for rotations and reflections

I don’t think scripts should be protected at all, nor should builds. People should be able to use the models to learn and further themselves. However, if they are looking to harm the creator or take money, then action must be taken.

And like the new clothing rule, that approach will fail:

Clearly Yourius stole that model :man_shrugging:

No more character models.

Who says someone won’t make a purchasable ball? When’s the actual limit as to when something is copied and not?

You’d need to start factoring in image analysis and much other factors that makes this process take a long time - i.e. not instant.

As it has been mentioned countless of times on this and similar threads already, protecting models that other people can get their hands on is impossible. If you want to create something for money, you can already now make connections and work for people to tailor your product instead of having an uncontrolled mess of your model suddenly cause trouble for other content creators.

1 Like

“If the model was free beforehand, you can’t sell it”

I think that’s been mentioned a couple times on this thread.

Also there’s no point in protecting it by “locking” the parts, but we can try to stop reuploading

Edit: For the comparing algorithm, it should only compare with models that have a part count greater than 5 or something

Also unions might be a challenge…

Free models are free such as the name tells, if you want to make money off of models make a game by yourself or with others. It’s the internet, anything can pretty much be copied, selling models is not at all feasible at such a large scale such as ROBLOX.

This won’t work, and, if you use the search feature, you’ll see tons of reasons why.

Here’s one such example:

http://devforum.roblox.com/t/selling-models/15294/19

Huh I never said to lock the source

1 Like

He’s talking about stopping the re-sale of items.

Basically, this idea isn’t going to work, at all. The only reasonable idea which could be a replacement to this is that after purchasing a model, you’re given an option to donate to the creator. The only issue there is that scripts or other builds could be copied and re-sold and profited off by donations for something they never even created.

2 Likes

Can you say why it isn’t going to work?

sorry but to be honest ; Roblox neither has the time nor enough moderators/ moderation resources to care ( at least currently ) about this sort of new and huge scale feature .

Problem 2 : even if roblox somehow invents the worlds most perfect asset theft / copy protection ; then it still mathematically and technically COULD not prevent any asset copy/theft ; NOT at all ; and i say this as a RBX dev with over 7 years of Roblox platform experience.

Point 3 : Even additional earnings for the company by the 30% fee wouldn’t be enough to compensate the additional stress work and trouble caused by the extreme amount of needed asset moderation caused by your suggested system ! seriously even a 90% fee wouldn’t convince.

Roblox has simply more …WAY more than enough to do then even additionally caring about who is the original creator of a asset and who is allowed to seel what ; since there are several billion models uploaded in the library and once a model sell feature ships ; ppl will still upload several additional billion assets like they always did .

NO human ; not even the biggest amount of asset moderation bots could follow the trouble with finding out who made originally what.

maybe its just my pessimism ; but my opinion sounds pretty realistic for me ^^

it seems too tough to manage and useless with all of the issues it presents