Making a globe in Roblox

Sorry if I sound confusing, I’m not the best

This has been a challenge for about 6 months. I want to make a replica of the Earth in ROBLOX- Just a globe (sphere), not an actual 2d map. I want to make this planet out of multiple parts so I can have a higher resolution for the planet I am making.

RoN does a thing sort-of like this.

If anybody knows how to do this sort of thing, let me know!

2 Likes

You’d have to set up your own OpenStreetMap Geoserver to handle and import geospatial data for city and street mapping with the combination of using GDAL (OSGeo4W) if you need to do coordinate transformations or fetch the geospatial vector data for height mapping then proceed to import google maps imaging data for texturing and use an AI to construct terrain the way Microsoft Flight Simulator does.

You’d have to take into consideration asset limitations so download assets from your webserver into the games cache and render them sparingly, also you must remember floating point related issues when walking long distances so make sure to generate a system that teleports players back at certain distances. Not sure how this would work in multiplayer so the game would most likely have to be single player.

1 Like

adding onto this, I think you should just spread this project up into multiple parts and centralized into a single group, not sure if this could all fit in a single game

Building support is the right category for this.

No… It’s just like a tabletop globe.

1 Like

Gonna bump this (sorry)

minimum characters moment