Making a Horror Game

[quote=“Fiveraa, post:17, topic:623924”]
s sound
Why Cant I? Is It A Problem

How Would I Do That? Can you tell me how?

I am really not sure, I am a member and can perfectly do so, sorry. I would suggest contacting a person who works on the DevForum.

I mean i have About 7h of read time

The reason you cannot create a topic is because you are in the collaboration category, you need to pick the sub-category which is recruitment.

1 Like

Remember to stay on-topic because you know, rules and so do I.
(30 characters and-)

Alright, Lets Get Back To The Horror Topic.

Ok! That is really helpful! thanks alot.

Hey, so I am a little confused on what you mean by having surfaceGUI’s or decals on parts. Because that’s what I already do.

Have it so each shef of paper is a sepert thing rather then the mess that you currently have (visable edge and wall clipping)

Thanks for your reply, I agree. A story really does change the realism of a game. I have a question; should the story be shown to the player, or no? If yes, should I have a GUI at the start of the game or something else?

Ah! I see what you mean, I never really liked those GUI’s because of those edges and clippings, so I’ll be sure to look into that further, thank you.

Fiverra i friend requested u (SORRY ABOUT OFF TOPIC)
Please Accept Request

A lot of the time it’s good to leave the players in the dark at the start of a game, let them slowly learn what happens over the course of their play time (also you need to add a start gui)
@CorruptEquality Same goes for you

1 Like

The three of us should move into a discord group chat or the messages so this doesn’t get to cluttered.
Also I’d recon you should have a script that inserts it into the player’s PlayerGui when they join

If you’re going for horror, give the player some room to fear.

If you have any death system, give it consequences like where the player loses all their items. If the player has some influence for the being of their character, they are going to care more about the setting and be more cautious. (Unless they have nothing to lose)

For sound

Incorporate good ambience all around. Have sound placed in the 3D world to give the player a better sense of existence. Also try and balance silence and various background music at different points. After certain buildups of noise, you can intensify a scene by creating a contrast with silence.

2 Likes

My discord is JackLossesHisSanity#5800

Hello!

Thanks for your response on this matter. For the first part of your comment about death and consequences, in the game, death is possible in one part of the map for right now. When the player dies, they are forced to rejoin the game as this is to add to the realistic effect of the game where you cannot respawn in real life. I understand this may make a player leave the game and just quit sometimes but I am mainly focused towards realism.

Next, about sound, ambiance and all of that. I strongly agree with you, I have implemented numerous sound effects, and ambiances to add to that extra feeling of horror. The spooky ambiance, light flickering, water flowing, water droplets, rain, you name it!

Thank you for your feedback!

Jumpscares. This is a big thing in horror games. Jumpscares provide fear but they also give a sense of excitement or exhilaration.
Another thing would be suspense. Meaning that you could play suspenseful music and something scary will appear or even better, you could build up a lot of suspense and then nothing appears and two to three seconds later something come up and scares them. This is better because when you give people that two, three second time break, they will feel relieved and won’t anticipate it.

Here’s my opinion in this.

DO NOT DEPEND ON JUMP SCARES/SCREAMER ONLY

I can’t stress this enough. do not depend on jump scares.

People who’s only source is Jump Scares to make the game “scary” should not make a horror game.

It becomes bland and redundant.

After awhile you expect the “jump scare” and becomes bored of it.

Ambience and atmosphere are very important to use to give the players more frightened and pump’s people’s anxiety

I once played a game that made me frightened because of the ambience.

Though, you can’t just make the game just dark as an excuse of “horror atmosphere”

MAKE THE GAME SPECIAL AND POP OUT AMONG OTHER GAMES.

This is just a common sense to do. but you cannot just copy another game’s mechanic and story.

Make the players come back to seconds

I’m not sure if you’re making a single player or a multi player.

Here’s ways to make the game more playable

• add as many badges as you can.

• make hidden collectables so the players would make sure to replay if they miss a collectable.

• More than one ending, replayability is very important.

This is all I can think of, Hope this helps.

2 Likes