Making a large map for Terrain

I’ve made a few posts on here about making terrain, but it is stressing me out a lot.

I keep on restarting due to many factors of not being satisfied. I keep making terrain either look too inconsistent, or it has too much detail. Like using the Grow and Erode tool on the smallest minute details.

The map is being made using the Roblox Smooth Terrain, and is about 7,000 studs. I’m open to any suggestions that could help.

Hey man,

For starters, have you tried using heightmaps to serve as a baseplate? If you’re unsure how to do that, here’s a dev forum post that explains how to use gaea. Very useful: Large-Scale Roblox Terrain: The ultimate guide

As for the terrain tools, I actually strongly recommend not using the grow, erode, and smooth tools. They don’t work properly and can make your terrain look boxy in some instances.

What I would recommend is this plugin called buildv4. It has a section for terrain tools that I use all the time. It lets you scult a radius of land at a time and it scales it as smoothly as possible. Here’s a link to that: https://create.roblox.com/marketplace/asset/143383965/Build-v4?pageNumber=4&pagePosition=13&keyword=

Also, since you’re dealing with terrain I’d imagine you may want to check out this plugin that works very well with placing trees and bushes and stuff. Check it out: https://create.roblox.com/marketplace/asset/2268520847/Brushtool-21?pageNumber=2&pagePosition=22&keyword=

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! But I have tried using heightmaps and similar techniques, and I feel like it doesn’t make entirely what I want to make. It’s hard to add more and make it blend well, because when I do, it looks boxy.

And speaking of which, I really like using grow and erode, they help me in some cases, but you are right, about the boxy/ too wavy part. But trying to make something with just plain add or subtract doesn’t work well for me because it’ll look too blocky (using squares) or too bumpy (using spheres.)

And for buildv4, I did try it out, but it was too confusing for me and I felt like it was much harder to control. If you do have any tutorials for using the BuildV4 terrain, I’d be happy to learn how to use it in ways.

Hey, sorry it took me a little bit to respond, it was because the devforum was having issues and under maintenance.

Heightmaps are primarily something I use to serve as a baseplate. Think of it sort of like layers. Like, I really just sculpt terrain on top of it rather than actually use it, because you’re right, it does look boxy. I was just suggesting it because it’s step 1 in my own process, but if it’s not your thing, it’s cool!

And, don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t suggesting sculpting terrain using just add/subtract, lol. What a boxy, ugly nightmare that would be.

I made a gif to show what I mean with buildv4. I really just use the radius add/subtract tool here and if you just click and drag it’ll “grow” terrain for you in a radius. What’s better is that you can adjust the “defracture” slider, which depicts how the edges of the radius curve around it. It’s my go-to because it forces the terrain to form as smoothly as possible, eliminating boxy looks. Here’s a gif I made, hope it helps.

3 Likes

I see… Thank you for your help, it has really helped me out!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.