Making a Lobby system like Apeirophobia

PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU GUYS WOULD RESPOND. THIS IS THE PROBLEM I AM STUCK WITH PLEASE.

Help Information:

• I was planning on giving an Idea and help my friend CalypsoGames to achieve it. But we both really had trouble with it. Something like Apeirohobia Lobby System. I know there using ReserveServer() and any functions. I know that, but me and my friend aren’t that advanced yet since were still learning and we just started 3 days ago in Learning Programming.

Pictures (Real Quality if you didn’t understand the Information given):

Result:

Inside:
Things

I haven’t made any progress yet except for the UI Since i’m still learning.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE

Just reply if you guys need more information about this project and I would be thrilled to share it to you to make any understandings :smile:

8 Likes

Search the internet for Roblox Studio Lobby System and you will find a lot of tutorials.

1 Like

I do not know how the apeirophobia lobby sytem works but assuming you create a lobby and other people in the server can join then this is how you can achieve what you want.

First of all use a button callback to create a lobby object on the server, use RemoteEvents to tell the server to create a lobby.

-- LocalScript

local createBtn = --path to your gui button

local createEvent = --path to a RemoteEvent
local joinEvent = -- path to a RemoteEvent
local startEvent = --path to a RemoteEvent
local updateGuiEvent = --path to a RemoteEvent

createBtn.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
    createEvent:FireServer() --this will tell the server to create a local lobby, meaning that the server will just create a record for the lobby
end)

updateGuiEvent.OnClientEvent:Connect(function(lobbyId, action)
    if action == "add" then
        --create a frame in the gui with a button to join
        local button = Instance.new("TextButton")
        button.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
            joinEvent:FireServer(lobbyId)
        end)
        button.Parent = --frame created above

if lobbyId == game.Players.LocalPlayer.UserId then
            --create a button for the owner of the lobby to start the game
            --this button should call startEvent:FireServer()
        end
elseif action == "remove" then
        --remove the frame
    end
end)
-- ServerScript

local TeleportService = game:GetService("TeleportService")

local createEvent = -- path to the same event used before
local joinEvent = -- path to the same event used before
local startEvent = --path to the same event used before
local updateGuiEvent = --path to the same event used before
local lobbies = {}

createEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player) -- player is a default argument which represents the player who fired the event
    local userId = player.UserId

if not lobbies[userId] then
        lobbies[userId] = {
            players = {
                userId -- automatically put the owner into the lobby
            }
        }

updateGuiEvent:FireAllClients(userId, "add") -- tell all clients to show the lobby of the user 
    end
end)

joinEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, userId)
    if not userId then
        return
    end

userId = tonumber(userId) -- since exploits can manipulate scripts and fire events make sure that the argument is a number

if lobbies[userId] and not table.find(lobbies[userId].players, player.UserId) then --make sure that the lobby exists and that the player is not already in it
        table.insert(lobbies[userId].players, player.UserId) -- add the player to the lobby
    end
end)

startEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player)
    local lobby = lobbies[userId] -- make a copy of the lobby

if not lobby then
        return
    end

table.remove(lobbies, table.find(lobbies, lobby)) --delete the lobby so this way if the button is clicked multiple times it won't create more than 1 server

local accessCode = TeleportService:ReserveServer() -- reserve a server and get the access code

TeleportService:TeleportToPrivateServer(0, accessCode, lobbies[userId].players) -- replace 0 with the place id where the actual game is played in, with the last parameter we indicate to the function to teleport ervery player in the lobby

updateGuiEvent:FireAllClients(userId, "remove") -- tell all clients to remove the lobby from the list
end)

Now keep in mind that with this system players can join multiple lobbies so it is your job to understand how to create a system to prevent this based on the code provided. A lobby system is not a simple thing to create if you just started scripting, so i reccomend you to start with basic things first but if you really want to you can work on the base code that i provided above. I also reccomend learning the various methods and functions used to understand what this code does as just copy and pasting is not a good thing and by doing it you will never learn anything.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the Contribution! I promise to study this as a part of my learning. :grin:

Oh and btw. I got alot of red lines.

updateGuiEvent:FireAllClients(userId, "add")

I did the scripts right

-- ServerScript

local TeleportService = game:GetService("TeleportService")

local createEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("createEvent")
	local joinEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("joinEvent")
	local startEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("startEvent")
	local updateGuiEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("updateGuiEvent")
	local lobbies = {}

createEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player) -- player is a default argument which represents the player to fired the event

if not lobbies[userId] then
		lobbies[userId] = {
			players = {
				userId -- automatically put the owner into the lobby
			}

updateGuiEvent:FireAllClients(userId, "add") -- tell all clients to show the lobby of the user
		}
	end
end)

joinEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, userId)
	if not userId then
		return
	end

userId = tonumber(userId) -- since exploits can manipulate scripts and fire events make sure that the argument is a number

if lobbies[userId] and not table.find(lobbies[userId].players, player.UserId) then --make sure that the lobby exists and that the player is not already in it
		table.insert(lobbies[userId].players, player.UserId) -- add the player to the lobby
	end
end)

startEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player)
	local lobby = lobbies[userId] -- make a copy of the lobby

if not lobby then
		return
	end

table.remove(lobbies, table.find(lobbies, lobby)) --delete the lobby so this way if the button is clicked multiple times it won't create more than 1 server

local accessCode = TeleportService:ReserveServer() -- reserve a server and get the access code

TeleportService:TeleportToPrivateServer(0, accessCode, lobbies[userId].players) -- replace 0 with the place id where the actual game is played in, with the last parameter we indicate to the function to teleport ervery player in the lobby

updateGuiEvent:FireAllClients(userId, "remove") -- tell all clients to remove the lobby from the list
end)

Here to

end

local createBtn = script.Parent.MainFrame.ServerConfig.ServerCreate

local createEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("createEvent")
local joinEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("joinEvent")
local startEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("startEvent")
local updateGuiEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.ServerCreation:WaitForChild("updateGuiEvent")

createEvent:FireServer() --this will tell the server to create a local lobby, meaning that the server will just create a record for the lobby
	end)

if action == "add" then
		end)

--create a button for the owner of the lobby to start the game
			--this button should call startEvent:FireServer()
		end
		--remove the frame
	end
end)```

Thank you so much for the help @mc7oof! :grinning:

Oh yea sorry I wrote it on mobile and I made a few mistakes, the problem was that the line of code that fires all the clients was inside a table. I edited my post, it should work now.

1 Like

Same error again…

I edited the script. I just don’t know how to do this one

--remove the frame
	end
end)

Here is my edited code:

-- LocalScript

local createBtn = script.Parent.MainFrame.ServerConfig.ServerCreate

local createEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.CreationToServer.createEvent
local joinEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.CreationToServer.joinEvent
local startEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.CreationToServer.startEvent
local updateGuiEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.CreationToServer.updateGuiEvent

end)

if action == "add" then
		end)

game.StarterGui.Lobby.MainFrame.ServerFire.ServerStart.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
				startEvent:FireServer()
			end)

--remove the frame
	end
end)```

What is the error oi the output?

You forgot an end

if action == "add" then
		end)

game.Players.LocalPlayer.PlayerGui.Lobby.MainFrame.ServerFire.ServerStart.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
				startEvent:FireServer()
			end)

--remove the frame
                  end
	end
end)

By the way you must frame in starter gui as if you do it won’t work, I edited it

1 Like

I’ll send it to you later since I’m using hotspot Im not on my pc. And btw I fixed it but the only this I’m having trouble at is

--remove the frame
	end
end)

Oh. Thank you very much, I spent my whole hour in that looking for a solution earlier :sweat_smile:

Also make sure that you reference gui objects in PlayerGui as that is what the player receives and not what is in StarterGui

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.