Making a low poly tree in Blender

Before I discovered my method of making trees, they were hard to make, and ended up looking a little something like this:
Today, I’ll be sharing a blender 2.9 tutorial on tree making, my way.

Tree:
To start off, press shift + a, and generate a plane. Go into edit mode by pressing tab, select 3/4 vertices, and hit x to delete them. You should be left with a single vertice.

After you have that, press e to extrude, and drag your mouse up and click, so it looks like this:
Then, start drawing the shape of a tree with the extrude tool. Some useful things to note are:
if you shift click two vertices, right click, and press subdivide, you get a dot centered between the two points, and you can both rotate and move the vertices. After the drawing process, it should look almost like this:
Once you’re satisfied with the outline, go to the modifiers tab and add a skin modifier, then a subdivision surface modifier, and it should look like this:
After that, go back into edit mode, highlight all the vertices, and press control + a to scale down the tree. From there, you can scale down branches of your choosing, for the end result of something like this:
Leaves:
For the leaves, generate a UV sphere using shift + a, and press tab to go into edit mode, and select this button for proportional editing:

Then, highlight random vertices, and drag them using the move tool. If you do this several times, you’ll hopefully end up with something resembling this:
Now, press tab to get out of edit mode again, and add a decimate modifier to the UV sphere. Crank the ratio down to get this:
Then, duplicate these using shift + d, and add them to the tree, giving you the final product!:image

34 Likes

What’s the best blender version for someone to start out?

1 Like

I am not an expert on blender versions myself, and their disadvantages and advantages. I started out on 2.9, which added new features, but had less tutorial coverage than 2.8. For that reason, I would start out on 2.8, and move your way up to 2.9.

I would recommend using the latest stable version. It is generally the best.

Should content like this belong on the ROBLOX Devforum tutorials page? It’s more of a Blender tutorial than a ROBLOX tutorial.

It’s a tutorial for development, meshes are made in Blender and other external programs and then imported into studio so it belongs here, yes.

3 Likes

use then current version from blender ofc

Very nice but what about colour?

This is meant to be for studio, and I often color and texture after I import the models into it. You can always add colors by using texture paint and texture previewing though.

1 Like

Texturing and mapping is a separate process, and there are existing resources that explain how to properly texture anything you want! If you want something simple, just set the MeshPart’s Color property through the Studio properties widget.

1 Like

I think blender has no specific best version to start in, but I would personally recommend using a version starting from 2.8 and newer as they are much more organised and the old menu can look very intimidating to people that are just starting.

An easy method to color them is to download a normal color pallet or a gradient color pallet and image texture them.
I might make a tutorial on that tomorrow.

1 Like

I have created this monstrosity

How do I make these branches not scale so weirdly?

1 Like

When you add the skin modifier, be sure not to proportion any branches weirdly. What I usually do is add the modifier, then just scale up the base so all of the other points are still the same size, but the base is thicker.

Another possibility is that you didn’t select all the vertices, leading to certain branches being thicker than the base.

I’m new to blender so I should probably just learn it a bit I guess.

1 Like

Select the tips of the branches with proportional editing on, then Ctrl + A to scale them down to your preferred size.

Not sure if that’s what you mean