Making a off site data store

Hello, recently I was wondering how I would go about having a data store which isn’t the roblox one. I know people say it’s expensive, and hard, and annoying, but what would you recommend for someone who wants to learn them better? Even if it’s in a simple, free way which doesn’t involve the most complex of things?

TLDR

Are there any services which are free and allow you to learn off site data stores?

It is possible to do so using HTTP and a language like python if you get creative. It might be possible to use data service on python like SQLite or MySQL to get data and use HTTP to send it to Roblox but it probably isn’t worth it to try. Just stick to regular Roblox data stores

1 Like

Hm yeah, the biggest problem is what you have to do off site. :confused: For example I only really know Luau.

Yea lua outside of Roblox isn’t that code with databases outside with roblox(dont trust me on this) and it will be a pain to learn another language just to do so. Just stick to Roblox for now or get someone else who is experienced with another language to do it for you

2 Likes

Theres a new datastore.

Datastore2 you also can watch tutorials on youtube.

Having a database that isn’t Roblox’s is a lot of work, and not as expensive as you might think. Depending on how you store your data and how much of it you decide to save, you can fit a lot inside of a basic database.

A popular database service that I’ve personally used is MongoDB. They’re a NoSQL service that specializes in non-relational data schemes. The only unfortunate thing I would say (unless you’re up for a challenge :wink:), is that I had to make my own REST API and host it on my own webserver in order to interface from Roblox to the Database with HttpService.

This, ultimately, isn’t that difficult. But it was a bit of work as a newbie trying to understand the basic protocols of the Internet, GETs, POSTs, PUTs, PATCHs, DELETE, etc. Truthfully, there are few games that have the resources to be able to trump the (un)reliability of Roblox’s datastores, and for what cost? Lots, if they have lots of players.

Anyways, you can find tons of awesome YouTube tutorials on how to make your own webserver and REST API.

However, as @SlayerThaDev said, there’s a reason Roblox has built the infrastructure for saving data, and there are a handful of really good libraries that’ve been made, like DataStore2 or ProfileService, that do a more than fine job of maintaining your game’s data.

At most, I would only use an external database as either a passion project or a way to save only the absolute most important and most condensed, vital form of your game’s data - possible. Talking security cookies, maybe data that’s integral to your economy that changes regularly, anything that you think would be soul-crushing if your players magically went without.

3 Likes

Yes, it is possible, but most of time not working or slow if you use free websites. You should search for “How to make datas with Discord” threads, complete the tutorial, and after try to make your game able to ask to your website the datas of a player.