Making a place from real life with terrain

Hi, I’ve really wanted to make a terrain sculpture of a place that is in my neighborhood but I don’t know how I would do it. I wonder if you can make a heightmap out of google maps or I don’t know if I should just put the top view of the place and then put it on a part and draw/map it on that part. How could I make that certain area with the resource of google maps? The trees and stuff I can deal with later. I would appreciate it if someone could help me, Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi!
There are actually a couple of websites dedicated to these kind of things, some of the notable ones are terrain.party and tangrams.github.io/heightmapper.
I’d recommend the first one as it’s a bit easier to use and find your location, but it’s good to have a couple of options in case one isn’t working out.
Hope this helps and good luck with the project!

2 Likes

Thanks! i will try this because i want to make the lake that is near my house since i love to go there and i would enjoy making it a hangout game :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey also, how do you think I could go with getting water and grass for certain areas?

1 Like

Good question. I think this should help: Terrain | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

1 Like

Thank you for the help it is appriciated.

1 Like

I think there is a way to do this in blender. You can convert photos into renders. I don’t know the exact process though.

1 Like