Making A Portal effect

So I’ve been working on a game that will be named “Ro-spective” where the player has to use logic and critical thinking to solve certain riddles. One of the mechanics in the game are portals which the player can summon to make certain levels possible.

I’ve put together a portal system today and apart from pixelization when being close to each portal it seems perfectly fine. Here’s a picture and video of it.

It still needs to be worked on a bit, also thanks to @EgoMoose 's explanation for making it possible for me to create this

5 Likes

pretty sick effect love how you move it also changes great work

1 Like

You can actually make a pretty realistic portal effect using viewport frames. A non-copylocked game where you can see this effect working is here.

1 Like

I am using a viewport frame currently. It’s just that because of performance issues I didn’t render players ( which is self explanatory) I’m currently working on a module that will possible increase the resolution.
Thanks for the reply tho!

Ah, I see. As the lighting from the frame didn’t match up to the lighting at the real location is looked an awfully lot like a moving image instead. Good luck!

1 Like

Oh wait I completely forgot about doing the lighting thanks for reminding me :smile:

Here’s it with lighting fixes and it actually looks a lot better

3 Likes

Hello. I was just wondering how you did that? I was thinking of having something like that as a way the player goes from level to level in my game. like they interact with a portal and a cutscene plays of them going through and that is how they travel.