Making a Radar for People

Hey DevForum,

So I am trying to make radar and I am a bit stuck. This radar is just for players. I want to put all the player characters into a folder in workspace and have the radar display those players. I just can’t seem to figure out how to display them as a blip on the gui.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me out?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

You don’t need to do this, you can always use this instead:

for _, Player in pairs(game.Players:GetPlayers() ) do
  local Character = Player.Character 
end

Then you want to get the position of the enemy character relative to yours. If you don’t want the radar to ‘rotate’ with the character (I.e. the top of the radar always represents the same direction), then just can just do this to get the vector from your character to the other players character

local Offset = EnemyCharacter.HumanoidRootPart.Position - MyCharacter.HumanoidRootPart.Position

Then just convert that world position to a position on the radar

local SCALE_FACTOR = 1/100 --Radar will display enemies up to 50 studs away
Offset = Offset * SCALE_FACTOR 
Blip.Position = UDim2.new(Offset.X + 0.5, 0, Offset.Z + 0.5, 0)

Just repeat those last two steps for each player, and turn ‘Clip Descendants’ to true for the frame holding the radar blips.

10 Likes

I do want it to rotate, does this do that already? And if you have time, I’d love to learn how this works if I can. How would it rotate?

So it makes things a little harder, but we can do that! The simple solution would be to do this:

local Offset = MyCharacter.HumanoidRootPart.CFrame:PointToObjectSpace(EnemyCharacter.HumanoidRootPart.Position)

Now the offset shows the position of the enemy from the perspective of the character. If they are in front of you, it will be on the top of the radar, behind you, on the bottom. The down side is if your characters humanoid root part is not completely vertical, it will distort the radar view. However most of the time there shouldn’t be any reason for it not to be vertical, until you die or are flung around/knocked over.

If this is likely to be problem, I can find a way to fix that but I’ll have to do it tomorrow when I get back

5 Likes

No worries. I’ll attempt to troubleshoot my self. I had a similar idea to your solution, but I couldn’t piece it together. Thanks!

How good are you at trig? This is basically a trig problem, and it is worth understanding how this works.

So the offset as madattak is calculated by doing

local Offset = EnemyCharacter.HumanoidRootPart.Position - MyCharacter.HumanoidRootPart.Position

Okay cool, so we need to get their position relative to us, their distance way + the angle in between

Firstly, before we progress its worth knowing if you don’t already when working with 2D spaces reflecting 3D ones, you should switch the XZ axis out for the YX in a vector2 (i.e (10, 0, 5) becomes (5, 10)

To calculate the rotation relative to us, you do…

math.atan2(offset.y, offset.x) -- in radians

math.atan2 is just tan-1 that you probably studied for trig class. Ask if you want a link to learn about that.

Once we have both rotations and summed them, we need to find the new coordinate. The expression to do this is

local angle = math.atan2(offset.y, offset.x)
local mag = offset.Magnitude
local newOffset = Vector2.new(math.cos(angle) * mag, math.sin(angle) * mag)

then finally we’d add that on to the middle coordinate of our screen. I think you might also need to add on your rotation relative to the center but I’m unsure.

2 Likes

Haha, yeah I’m still one year away from trig. I’m sure I’ll look back on this next year and say “Wow, that I could’ve done” but thanks for the help!

@madattak I tried your version but while the blip moved it was only moving in one corner.
@St_pDropRoll I tried your version but it’s not moving at all, it just resets the blip to position 0,0,0,0

local Scale_Factor = 1/25 -- 100 studs away

for i,enemy_player in pairs(game.Players:GetPlayers()) do
		--if enemy_player.TeamColor ~= player.TeamColor and enemy_player ~= player then
			spawn(function()
				local blip = gameUI.Frame.Radar.RadarFrame.Me:Clone()
				blip.Name = "Enemy"
				blip.Parent = gameUI.Frame.Radar.RadarFrame
				blip.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(202, 57, 13)
				while wait() do
					local enemy_char_pos = ServerAction_ReturnPlayerCharacterPos:InvokeServer(enemy_player)
					local offset = enemy_char_pos - player.Character.HumanoidRootPart.Position
					local relative_offset = math.atan2(offset.y, offset.x)
					local magnitude = offset.Magnitude
					local final_offset = Vector2.new(math.cos(relative_offset) * magnitude, math.sin(relative_offset) * magnitude)
					--offset = offset * Scale_Factor
					blip.Position = UDim2.new(final_offset * Scale_Factor)
				end
			end)
		--end
	end

Made a small change

Blip.Position = UDim2.new(Offset.X + 0.5, 0, Offset.Z + 0.5, 0)

This ensures a target right on top of you would actually be in the center rather than the top left corner.

1 Like

Hm it seems to position in the center but it still has very odd behavior

You’re passing a Vector2 into a UDim2 here. You need to be doing

UDim2.new(0, final_offset.x, 0, final_offset.y)

Also remember at some point you need to flip the values

What do you mean flip the values? (I mean I know what you mean but for what purpose)

Also how do I keep it relative to the center.

Did you ever figure out how to make it relative to the center?