Making a Vessel with CSG (Particularly a Bow)

In this tutorial, I will be showing you how to model a ship hull with CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry)! This guide is designed primarily for the Roblox maritime community but also for those who are wanting to model hulls or improve their existing hull modelling ability.

Please excuse my inconsistent screenshot sizes :wink:

Requirements

(Example Hull)

Getting Started | References and Research

When beginning your maritime vessel in Roblox, I highly recommend that you take the time to collect an adequate amount of research and references as it will help you a lot when you start to map out your hull.

To collect references and research try searching these up on the following applications:

Google Images

• [vessel name] blueprints
  • [vessel name] deck plans
  • [vessel name] hull line plans
  • [vessel name] evacuation plans

Youtube

• [vessel name]
  • [vessel name] tour

Evacuation plans usually feature a drawing of a vessels hull, note that they aren’t always reliable as some are not the proper shape of the hull. A website that has ship blueprints that I recommend is www.the-blueprints.com - Be sure to get a blueprint that has a high resolution and as many different views as possible (front, back, left, right, top, bottom)

(Evacuation Plan^)

NOTE: blueprints, deck plans, hull line plans, evacuation plans or framing plans may not exist for certain ships online!

Youtube and Google images are both very helpful when it comes to researching as it helps you understands your vessel’s shape better. Usually, when doing so try googling the specific bit of the hull you are wanting to research on e.g Bow (Front of the Ship), Stern (Rear of the Ship), Port (Leftside of the Ship), Starboard (Rightside of the Ship)

Setting Up | Inserting the Plans

Before starting, ensure that CSG v2 is off as it will cause an immense amount of shading/smoothing issues, and also ensure that you have the necessary reference (blueprint/mapping) of your selected vessel.

Step 1. Upload your reference images to Roblox - Create a part in a studio and then insert the reference image onto one of its side surfaces.

Step 2. From there, size it so that the resolution of the image is fixed. Make sure that the hull is properly sized to a Roblox NPC; You can do so by positioning one next to one of the decks to see if its the right size; If it is not then size the part up.

Step 3. Duplicate and rotate your part so that the birds-eye view matches accordingly like so with the side view.

Modelling | Forming the Bow

Step 4. Create a new part and size it to the dimensions of the hull - Make sure to disable CastShadow in the properties of the newly created part. (Properties>CastShadow)

Step 5. Move the newly created part to the side via 10 or more studs so then when you want to put it back you can.

Step 6. Open up the curve cutter plugin and select the top surface of the bottom reference image; From here you want to click on the blueprint where the bow starts; A pink part should appear, if the pink part is facing inwards press f to flip the part the opposite way - Make sure the pink part is on the facing outwards.

Step 7. Continue drawing down towards the middle of the ship until the curve of the bow stops.

Note, For a smoother bow, curve it with more lines.

Step 8. Before confirming the draw, make sure that the end of your curve is facing away from the ship like so - This is to stop unioning issues down the road.

Step 9. Confirm the curve by pressing enter - Disable the plugin and select the curve, from here you want to ungroup and select all the curves parts and increase the height of all; Once done union all the parts together.

Step 10. Insert a new part and have it hover above the curve so they aren’t touching each other - Negate the new part and union it with the curve, this will fix the unions axises.

Step 11. Duplicate the union and rotate it 180 degrees, make sure to align it with the blueprint like such; Then union both of them together.

Step 12. Move the union over so that the middle of the bow is lined up with the side reference image - Change the transparency to 0.5 and make it more vibrant by changing the colour.

Step 13. Duplicate and rotate the unions so it traces the shape of the bow on the reference image.

Step 14. Once done, slide the unions across to the bottom reference image - The bottom of the unions do not need to align with the reference image; The reason why it appears out of line to the image is because the bow angles inwards and hence the bottom will be out of line from the blueprint.

Step 15. Negate both unions and turn CastShadow off in the properties - From here duplicate the hull part that we put to the side and slide the duplicate back into place with the blueprint.

Step 16. Slide the hull part forward so that the edge of it meets the negate part like so.

Step 17. For any excess bits at the front of the bow insert and angle a negate part as shown below.

Step 18. ENSURE that CSG v2 is disabled - Once it is, start to union the hull and negate parts together; Once done it should end up like this (If you encounter union errors, refer to the troubleshooting section below)

Step 19. To fix colouring issues, navigate to the union’s Properties and enable UsePartColor.

Troubleshooting | Unions

If you do encounter union error I recommend you try the following:

• If there are more than 2 parts, try only unioning two together at a time and then union those unions together.
  • Save the negates to one Roblox model and save the parts to one Roblox model - Then, re-insert them into a new studio or the studio they were in.
  • Start Union projects on a new place.
  • Work with Unions as close to the 0,0,0 XYZ position in the workspace.

If these tips do not work for you, drop a comment on this post and I’ll try to help you out the best I can; An alternative way is to navigate through the DevForum for tips on how to fix these errors.

If you have any inquiries please leave a comment below! Cheers.

50 Likes

Nice work, easy and detailed tutorial on how to make a vessel with csg.

4 Likes

Nice, you could also just use triangle draw or gapfill by making the outline for each deck if that makes sense.

3 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

That is true - I think I know whatcha mean.

Nice tutorial, keep up the work.

3 Likes

Really good guide. Easy for peoples who have never done it before to start doing it.

I hope to see a guide on creating the rest of the ship. Including a part of the furniture so we can see how you do the furniture.

Also: I usually run into some issues with hitboxes, what is your input?

2 Likes

Thank you for your thorough guidance on how to make the bow with CSG. In the past I have been stuck in certain areas of CSG, but this guide showed me how to use the tool effectively.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this, I’ve been needing a guide since I will for sure be applying this to my game

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m thinking of continuing the guide on and breaking them up in certain parts so I can thoroughly go into detail about what to do :smiley:

And whatcha mean by hitboxes?

2 Likes

No problem! I’m happy to of helped out, if you run into any issues feel free to leave a comment :smiley:

1 Like

No problem aha, if you encounter any issues do feel free to comment and I’ll be sure to help out :smiley:

1 Like

Usually with collisions and hit boxes, you wanna try and break the union up abit into separate pieces - This will help immensely to fix any issues you may have.

3 Likes

Although there is a beta feature you can enable that will drastically improve the collisions of your unions:

I’ve tested it out and it works like a charm.

1 Like

Your tutorial was spot on!

From my years of experience building ships, making the bow is the most time consuming since it requires certain curves and whatnot. Making the hull takes me about 2-3 days depending on how complex the boat is. Not to mention the frustration of using CSGv1 and how many times the unions gets corrupted.

What I’d recommend is the use of Model Reflect by stravant for precise measurement of both sides and is time saving.

Keep up the good work! :smile:

4 Likes

Also, if you hold alt and select a part, it’ll select that part only not the model.
(Though, this doesn’t work on unions ofc!)

3 Likes

May I just say, your ships are well crafted! And I completely agree with you on that, CSG v1 is such a pain with the unions especially if you are trying to make a really smooth bow it requires a lot of parts.

oo, Model Reflect - That’s actually very smart because then the measurements are more accurate and its less time-consuming - I’ll make sure to use that from now on :smiley:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it and likewise! :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s… actually pretty clever

3 Likes

This tutorial was really helpful! I was able to make one of my best cruise ships so far. :slight_smile: It’s an attempt on the ship Celebrity Flora. Keep up the great work!

Edit: Roblox corrupted all my unions :frowning_face:

sideview143

4 Likes

Does anyone else have issues with curve maker? It does not work for me. O_O

3 Likes