Making an aesthetic and challenging obby

• read in a tv-commercial voice *
    Are you sick and tired of wasting hours and hours of your precious time on all the basic looking non-challenging 500 stage obbys? Well I am!

I’m kidding, it’s not about that. But I am making one that is quite the opposite. I’m just worried that it might be too hard for the younger playerbase, especially for those on phones and tablets. I’d love some input from you guys about that.

bobby3

And here’s the game:

https://www.roblox.com/games/5935211525/New-Ocean-Obby-Hard

7 Likes

It looks nice and plays well, but I have one huge gripe:
it takes forever to respawn.

A lot of obbies I see on here don’t change this for whatever reason, and oftentimes it’s frustrating enough for me to leave the game, especially on those “hard” obbies where you die a lot.

I personally don’t like the death counter. It can make you feel bad about how bad you’re doing and discourage playing.

Also, might wanna enabled bubble chat enabled in the chat properties.

2 Likes

@ProfessorOfK3ology That’s a fair point. I saw one obby that was selling instant respawn, but being that this is a more difficult one I think it would be fair to cut it short by default… what would you say is good?

@ImTheBuildGuy Another fair point :joy: I didn’t think of it like that, I saw it as a competition kind of thing, but you’re right, competition is not supposed to make you feel bad haha. And I didn’t know that enabling bubble chat was so easy, I thought I’d have to do my own GUI stuff, thanks for letting me know!

Thank you both for the input, I appreciate it greatly :relaxed: I was planning to go to sleep after posting, but I’ll actually do all this stuff right now, as they’re all quick fixes.

I’m not sure, but after some brief testing in my own place I found that 2-3 seconds was the longest I could go before getting frustrated, provided you don’t want to just cut it all the way down to zero.

Then again, I’m 17, and I’m sure some 9 year old on their mom’s tablet has an even shorter attention span than I do.

Really good builds and overall design but there is one bug. When there are multiple players in a server when someone(say his name is Joe) reaches a check point, if the other players reset they get spawned to Joe’s checkpoint.

A lot more challenging and fun than expected! Me and a few other people got randomly teleported to stage 6 For no reason…

@ProfessorOfK3ology That’s true… 2 seconds it is!

@D4shy8oy Oh wow, thank you for that! I had the same issue with dying, when one player dies all of them die, it’s a crucial check I missed for the touch events. Thank you again! Fixed it right away.

@SwordRunning That’s what D4shyBoy was referencing, it’s fixed now :joy: Thanks for the kind words :relaxed:

EDIT: Changed/fixed all mentioned things, and the little things sure go a long way, and surprisingly, the changes were just a few clicks away, I didn’t even know. I changed the respawn time to 1.6 seconds, it feels better than 2 seconds.

1 Like

I disagree with you, I think a death count is a good way to keep the player focusing and playing longer to get the lowest amount of deaths possible.

I’m just talking from personal experience here, noticing the death count is what made me stop playing Doomspire Brickbattle, people are different, maybe it could be optional.

@Coldshot_Dev @ImTheBuildGuy

When I have enough stages to add a rebirth option, I’ll think about the death counter, if I should add it and what can be done with it. For example: the player can choose at the beginning if they want the counter or not, but they can’t turn it on/off again until the next rebirth. Or something else.

1 Like

I think that if it is meant to be hard, then keep it that way. If you want to still have a player-base that doesn’t only consist of pro obby players, then you can make a separate easy version and medium version that you can teleport to in game.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion. I want a big player-base, I’d love to do this for a living. And one thing comes to mind: the player can choose a difficulty, and then the client would base the tween speed of elements based on that, and also on “easy” the MaxSlopeAngle can be increased so they don’t slip off the edges.

However, I’m not completely persuaded that this will affect the size of the player-base that much, because I’m thinking of Tower of Hell, which has a huge player-base, yet it’s too difficult in my opinion, I consider myself fairly skilled in obbys, but some of the stages there are just too much.

1 Like

I think that the thing about tower of hell is that you can basically try it forever, and that is different about obbies that just have a definitive end. Obbies that have an end usually don’t have as large of a player base because once people beat it, they won’t want to play it again. You could kind of do an obby minigames thing where obbies switch out, and you get points if you beat it. You could even include an in game leaderboard for people to compete for the top spot.

I closed a loop on the first “zone”. I finally decided that I’ll split it up into zones, which will vary in difficulty. This one will probably end up as 3rd or 4th in the long-run, as it’s challenging but very much doable for anyone with some obby experience.

I also added in some leaderboards, the GUIs are blank for now, as (for some reason) it took me hours and hours to make the ferris wheels. The leaderboards will be for: number of times someone passed the zone, finish time for the zone, and donations (shameless).