Making an attractive game icon

Hey guys, super new to graphic design, but I want your advice. I want to make an appealing game icon (and thumbnails) with a high click through rate. I tried making a “unique” icon before but not many people were clicking on it (I ran small sponsors to test CTR) and when I made a more normal icon the CTR went up, but

I still don’t think it is optimal. I want to reach something like 1% if that’s possible.

I’ll link the original and the new icons below, please give me your opinions and how I should go about making more eye catching/better game icons in the future.

4 Likes

Looks really nice!

I do think your logo could be a bit more focused. Made me think I need glasses again.

3 Likes

Looks great!

Could be a little more eye catching by,

• Make the first logo not look like little cuts on the shirt,

• The lighting turn down on his shirt,

Other than that Looks good :+1:

1 Like

Fixed the brightness.

Before

After
!

Thanks for the advice

2 Likes

That looks better, I’m always happy to help, :wink:

1 Like

I love the font that you used with the gradient. I would try to incorporate it into the second icon with the character. The first icon sort of gave me a headache to look at since my eyes didn’t know what to focus on. Im going to assume that you are looking out of a cave into a forest area. Otherwise, you did a great job and look forward to seeing more of your work.

2 Likes

I don’t want to be rude but can you please point out where the lighting change is? Thanks

The guy is slightly darker in the second one

I feel that you shouldn’t be using too much detail because there isn’t much to focus on. For an icon, I believe that, the logo / name of the game should be centre focus, or a central object. I’d advise using perhaps gradient blurs or fonts that really pop out.