Making an Exploration-Based Steampunk Game

So yea, this obviously won’t be done for a long while, but I’m in the midst of making a large and open exploration-based game, with a sort of steam-punk-ish 5 Weeks in a Balloon kind of feel.

The main objective is, as the player is a cartographer, to explore different islands and bring back the measurements to the cartography society. Measurements would be co-ordinates (obviously), wind speed, elevation, and a variety of samples that the player has to find on each island. A bigger the island requires more samples to achieve “100% explored” on.

I guess it can be a bit of a take-away from Super Mario 64-esque go to a place, find all the stuff, over-come some obstacle, bring it back.

Some screenshots

Obviously it has a ton of work still needed - mostly scripting, but any feedback would be welcome.

2 Likes

Love the concept and the screenshots are promising! Looking forward to updates.

Giant moving parts (clouds, windmills, buildings, etc…) would make it feel so alive. Loving the concept, though!

1 Like

Funny you say that, the main city (the second picture, in the background) has a giant windmill in it that I’m going to have as a sort of wind turbine for the city. I want things to look fluid.

:slight_smile: