Making audios public: What's the holdup?

I am aware of the (arguably terrible) update that took place on somewhere around April of 2022 that purged almost every audio that was uploaded to this platform.

I believe that with this update, Roblox forced any more creation of audios to be… “temporarily” private… it has been one whole year since then. Not so temporary, is it?

Not only that, but granting Universe IDs permission is completely broken, at least on my end. Also, the process of getting a Universe ID is tedious. I had no idea what a Universe ID was until I had to google it. Why not just use Place/User IDs?

Since the purge, the audio selection on ROBLOX has been bland at best. What is the point of restricting the visibility of audios in the first place? If you’re scared of copyright, add a copyright filter like almost every single platform that allows uploading audio has.
Making audios public would also allow ROBLOX users to be able to use custom audios in games other than their own. For example, if a game were to have a radio item, they could upload their own audio to play on that radio.

I heavily doubt ROBLOX is going to allow making audios public soon, or at all, but if we can somehow reach out to them, that would be amazing.

TL;DR: Roblox should make audios public because privating them makes zero sense.

8 Likes

Honestly I think people might be running out of audios to use soon. I hate how they say temporarily but it’s not so temporary is it? If there having a lot of copyright issues then add new features to combat it. Instead they just lock down the whole feature instead of doing something about it.

2 Likes

Move to #development-discussion.

Would be nice to have audios, but also bad. Remember the N slur problem in bypassed audios?

2 Likes

As of this week the roadmap now includes an estimate for when they’ll enable asset privacy and sharing, for “all asset types”. Even though it says all kinds of assets I’m not 100% sure if that includes audio and animations but we’ll have to wait and see.

It’s been a pain not being able to share SFX on-platform but this sounds pretty promising.

(I still believe they should also give us an apology.)

2 Likes