Making cars out of traditional parts and unions, where to start?

I would like to call myself a respectable builder, however I feel as if I have hit a literal roadblock when it comes to cars. Me and @anon66957764 are currently working on a secret project, and I’m challenging myself to make the cars myself instead of hiring a modeller.

I do know what to do, I’m welding the parts to the chassis provided by Terrodactyl, but I want it to look really nice instead of a cluster of parts!
Our main plan is to hopefully allow parts of the car to fall off due to collision with another vehicle or an obstacle within the map.

Car creators within studio, what tips do you have for starting out with creating car models on Studio, and do they provide an advantage over using meshed cars with a hitbox? I’ve attached some photos to give you an idea of what I’m working with.

47 59 54

Looks a bit grey and uninspiring, ignore the progress right now, I just want to know where I should start whilst making car models and what steps to take! Right now, I’m mostly looking to get inspiration from the vehicles used within Rocket League.

3 Likes

There are multiple videos on YouTube that offer insight on the creation of cars. You may find this one quite informative.

Good luck with your game.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks a lot!
Interesting to see an old retro Studio video after all of these years.

2 Likes

GapFill and ResizeAlign are really good plugins, just FYI. They’re not good just for building cars!

I haven’t watched the video, but I skipped through it and saw those plugins being used.

Here they are, if you want a link:

https://www.roblox.com/library/165687726
https://www.roblox.com/library/165534573

2 Likes

I think I’ve got those already, but thank you for the help.
Anyways, I better be getting on with these cars soon, then I’ll be ready to build everything else!

1 Like

Well, I would start by creating an image for the design of the vehicle, then try to replicate each and every part. Going blind wouldn’t be the best thing to do, but I would try and use the transformation tool or other Studio provided tools to have a perfect view on creating unions, based off of your wants and needs. Labeling and putting your unions in named folders could also help organize a clean environment for easy access to the items.

4 Likes

So I’ve attempted to make a car using some of the advice from the replies that I received. It’s quite rushed to say the least, but I think it looks decent. (Enough for a first try)

If I was to spend more time on the car itself, I’d obviously make the triangles a bit cleaner and more perfect. The windows were done in pretty much 1 minute, plus not to point out the missing other details such as wind mirrors and lights.

32 39

Thank you @anon66957764 for critiquing it on Discord!

7 Likes