Making characters visible through fully opaque bricks

How would this be done? Skimming through the BasePart properties I was not able to find anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

Try using SurfaceGuis and marking them as AlwaysOnTop = true

You can try using the AlwaysOnTop properties found on these few useful classes.

So I thought of that, but it would get rid of the hats, make the head look like a block, and make the entire character look neon. Is it not possible to simply have the unadulterated character show?

Good point…
I do not believe there is a way to make parts render through other parts like you’re hoping to do, unfortunately. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

2 Likes

The best way to do this is using any of the HandleAdornment classes, but they’re really clunky to use.

Perhaps one day Roblox can let us fiddle with z-buffer checks.

2 Likes

Probably the best way to do this (and it would probably be really inefficient) would be for the target character to be cloned, and rendered on your client (parented to camera or something) only draw the character directly in front of you, but scale the character based on a calculation of how far the ‘real’ character is from you.

So you are drawing them in front of anything else, just scaling to create the illusion of distance.

Not sure how well it would work on more than one character at a time, and you would have to first determine if they are in your view space, and where they would appear at closest Z to you, along a ray from you to them.

If anyone tries this I would be interested to know just how well it worked out.

3 Likes

@Maximum_ADHD has implemented this in The Stalker Reborn, maybe he could explain?

It’s a complicated line of sight projection that I do on each RenderStep.

3 Likes

That doesn’t actually sound terribly inefficient.

If you take a BoxHandleAdornment and set it’s Adornee to a part, then set the AlwaysOnTop property of the HandleAdornment to true, it renders on-top of everything, if this is what you want, I reccomend trying it. You can also resize it to whatever size you like and set a colour.

Here’s something that could get you started. Its not the most efficient module, but it’ll get the job done if you only have to worry about a few parts at any given time.

2 Likes

I’m trying to achieve this

Screenshot from Super Knife Frenzy

Is this what are wanted to achieve? @zaiisao

If so did you use the XRayAdornment Module ?

I released the source for The Stalker: Reborn’s system @RuizuKun_Dev

7 Likes

Can we all play around with it?