Making full levels in blender?

Hey guys

I’m making a few levels (only one currently, rest later) and I’m wondering if it’s a good option to make the entire levels in blender (Except for repeating props, I’ll place those down in studio), or should I make the level in studio and only use blender for specific models?

The level geometry won’t be very complex, if anything it’s very simplified, and almost all meshes will have collisions off (and box collision fidelity and I use the OBJ Collision generator plugin for ground collisions though).

I also understand that it will probably influence the level loading time since all the meshes will have to be downloaded and loaded in, but since the levels aren’t big in file size it shouldn’t be long at all.

So if anyone can tell me if it’s worth continuing modeling most of the level in blender or not then I would really appreciate it.

If anyone is wondering why, then the answer is that making entire levels in blender is just a way better option regarding how it looks, and it’s very painful to make roads in studio. I do use the “Beautiful roads plugin” for them but it often looks weak since it’s not a single properly modeled mesh. Also it’s probably better to use meshes instead of a billion parts/wedges

EDIT: I’ve already managed to import an early version of the level into studio with proper scaling, and mesh location utilized so I can easily re-import a newer version without having to re-position studio objects all the time. Also each mesh is smaller than 2048 (20480 in blender scaling) so studio won’t scale it down and mess up the entire mesh and the splits.

3 Likes

Keeping in mind that you can only export 3,000 tris per MeshPart, you might have to make it in sections. Just select faces of a level “portion” and when you export check the “export selection only” box.

yeah I know but I was just wondering if there’s any specific/“hard” reason as to why I shouldn’t make the entire(/most of the) level in blender

Not really, like you said it’s going to be a pain to make in studio. It’s totally possible
But definitely make it in sections because it would have to be lower than low-poly to export as one mesh.