Making FullScale landable planets HELP (T-T)

Uploading: Script_-_Roblox_Studio_2021-09-05_19-10-33.mp4…
So i was just watching random unity game engine videos when i found out this specific one the thing about this is im curious if i can actually make this in roblox

i tried making the planet 2048,2048,2048 but its still isnt enough since planets are WAY bigger than that so i really need help with it
so here are the questions that i need to get answer
Is it possible to create planetary landings
how would i make a planet bigger than the roblox max scaling size?
if yes how would i make the character to walk on the planet
i have already made a planet gravity system but i dont know how i can make players walk on it
this is my planet gravity system and it uses F=G * m1 * m2/r² equation

i would probably add orbit equation after this for the planets
All help is appreciated.Thanks
EDIT:i found out something called hexaspheres which could theoretically make planets but idk how i would do that

1 Like

Aren’t you asking a bit too much from the devforumn’s?

Anyways the main question.

Found a tutorial on it and safe to say it’s going to be a lot tougher or impossible because one of the main functions used here is mesh creation which is possible in unity and not possible in Roblox.

Trying to overcome this obstacle will take something special.

what if i make a triangle mesh in the first place that has one side and then use that to make the planet?

Why don’t you split the planet into multiple meshes? (Assuming your planet isn’t procedurally generated ingame) If your planet is 8k by 8k by 8k you can split it into four quadrents and export it to roblox.

Everything your saying should be possible, (having a detailed planet would be tough though).

The simplest and best way to do this, I believe, would be to make the planets just be visual, and that when you get close enough, the player would be prompted to “land” on the planet, which could possibly include a small animation of landing on it, before the game actually teleports you to another place that would be the surface of the planet. This way would allow you to simulate “landing” on the planet without having to find any fancy or hacky methods to contain everything within a single place, and would help with load times (the server won’t have to load the contents of every single planet each time a new server starts, which would take far longer than this method would)

Assuming you are going with the method I mentioned above, you could simply use a SpecialMesh instance on the planet, which has a convenient property called Scale, which would allow you to size up the planet’s visual appearance beyond what the engine will allow with part size (note that this won’t expand the collisions to that size, it is purely visual).

EDIT: Also on the assumption you want it/intend for it to be procedural, that would most definitely be possible with this method, it would simply take some extra work. You’d probably be best using datastores to save basic generated information about a planet that can be pulled up as needed (this basic information being stuff like the primary materials that make up the planet’s surface, its name, seed for generating the surface, etc), and alongside that data, saving a placeid linking to a place that was created from a template surface place using CreatePlaceAsync, which within this place, it would be able to pull up that planet’s information and then generate the terrain of the planet as the player walks around/explores the planet.

1 Like

yeah that works,cant i make it smooth landing like in Elite Dangerous:Horizons?

also if i use the CreatePlaceAsync thing to make a different planet area is it possible that i can make the player feel like hes on a spherical planet where you can fly around the planet and eventually coming back to where you started

Certainly! As I said before, you could implement an animation which causes the ship to appear to land on the planet, and before it can actually land on the planet, you could then teleport the player to the place made using CreatePlaceAsync, and then within that place, implement a continuation of the animation where they’d land on the surface once it has loaded.

If you set it up in a way where it knows precisely how large the planet’s surface should be in studs, you could then use this information in the generator to make the terrain possibly loop once it goes past this area, from there, you could then set it up so that attempting to go farther than the bounds of the planet’s surface and into that looped area, would seamlessly teleport them to the other side of the planet’s surface with the same position as they would be if they were to walk over a spherical planet.

This would give the illusion that the planet is spherical at least, but there is unfortunately no way to make the planet’s surface appear spherical, unless of course, you decided to instead use terrain, and procedurally generate the surface in a spherical shape with the size of the planet in mind, you could then from there use some maths and code to make the player gravitate toward the center of the planet and visually appear to be upright relative to the gravity they are being influenced by.

Certainly! As I said before, you could implement an animation which causes the ship to appear to land on the planet, and before it can actually land on the planet, you could then teleport the player to the place made using CreatePlaceAsync, and then within that place, implement a continuation of the animation where they’d land on the surface once it has loaded.

how could i have a seamless teleportation without the loading screen

1 Like

To make it appear seamless, you could create a custom loading screen for when you enter or exit a planet that has an animation that makes it look like you are passing through the clouds. Since you cannot avoid the loading screen entirely, your best bet would be something like what I just mentioned, which would mask the fact that you’re loading another place by making it appear that you are passing through the planet’s clouds.

1 Like

Rather than having an animation play, you could somehow make your own vehicle. Galaxy Γ has done this.

1 Like

im sorry can you explain this more? j searched up the galaxy game and it doesnt really have a planet landing system in it so…